Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purchasing glassware from Ebay?
Iotamancer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 21-9-2012 at 08:46
Purchasing glassware from Ebay?

New registrant and long-time lurker here :)

I know; it's another one of *those* posts. I'm an organic chemistry major in the USA and I pursue hobbyist chemistry safely and securely at my home.

I've recently had to retire my older set of glassware that was given to me by a family friend a couple of years ago and have been looking around on Ebay for some organic glassware kits. My question is this: do I have anything to worry about as far as having my door kicked in or helicopters landing on my roof for having an organic-lab glassware kit mailed to my home address?

I don't work with essential oils and have never had anything (chemicals, glassware, etc) mailed to me. I would appreciate any feedback that I can be given :)
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 10:08

As long as you don't live in Texas, you'll be fine.

(Tip: Alchemy Lab Supply, despite the odd name, has quite high-quality glassware for the low price.)
Iotamancer
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 10:38

Thanks :) I'd be more than willing to purchase from that supplier, but are there any off-site reviews or testimonies I can read? I'm having trouble finding anything about them other than their website.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 11:01

Quote: Originally posted by Iotamancer  
Thanks :) I'd be more than willing to purchase from that supplier, but are there any off-site reviews or testimonies I can read? I'm having trouble finding anything about them other than their website.

You could also contact Dr. Bob on this forum and ask if he had anything that would suit your needs. I have bought excellent quality brand name glass from him several times at a fraction of the retail cost.

Click here

[Edited on 21-9-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 16:33

Quote: Originally posted by Iotamancer  

Does their eBay feedback satisfy? Other than that, there's a tiny thread on an alchemy forum, which doesn't say much about the quality of the glassware. I bought some of their stuff a while ago (still need a Liebig; they don't seem to update their site very often), and as such I haven't run it through the gantlet yet, but it seems sturdy enough. Ground-glass is pretty smooth, although I don't have any Pyrex to compare it to.
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 20:18
Ebay Glassware

I have bought many items from Ebay with no problems and the quality was and is good. I recently purchased a three neck flat bottom thick wall 3000 ml flask for $35.00. Lab Boy has a store there and has good quality glassware.
spirit
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-9-2012 at 00:32

The official theory is keep it under a hundred bucks and it raises no interest. I have had several components of my lab sent from Ebay, all of which meet my expectations.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 22-9-2012 at 05:03

I have purchased essentially all the glass that I own from ebay and have never had any issues (except with occasional poor shipping practices). Don't buy 20L flasks and you're probably okay. I also don't order chemicals from ebay, except some very generic safe stuff and not very often.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem

Go To Top