Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Substitutes for hypophosphites in electroless nickel plating???
Hilski
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 11:26
Substitutes for hypophosphites in electroless nickel plating???

Is anyone aware of any reducing agents that can be substituted for the H2PO2 in an electroless nickel plating solution?

I would prefer not to have to make or acquire the quantities of WP it would take produce enough NaH2PO2 for a large plating bath. And I live in the US, so our ridiculous laws regarding hypophosphites would come into play if I were to try to purchase it.

Thanks

\"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. \"

- Benjamin Franklin
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 13:28

Quote: Originally posted by Hilski  
Is anyone aware of any reducing agents that can be substituted for the H2PO2 in an electroless nickel plating solution?
There's a nickel-boron electroless process, but I know little about it.

But you should be able to buy hypophosphite, salt or acid, directly from a plating supplier. Caswell Plating, for example, sells nickel platings kits, but also bulk solution in bottles from pint to 5 gallon. Part A is the nickel (it's colored). Part B is used to make up the initial bath and Part C used to replenish. I'd guess that these are just solutions of the salt and the acid you're looking for.

More generally, there really shouldn't be List I issues if you're buying plating reagents from a plating supplier in order to do nickel plating.
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2012 at 06:11

Thanks.
I'll look into the nickel-boron process. I've bought stuff from Caswell before, but from what I remember, they're REALLY proud of all their products and prices reflect as much.

Thanks again.

\"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. \"

- Benjamin Franklin
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-11-2023 at 12:24

Go To Top