Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Menthol
Teen Chemist
Harmless

Mood: Effervescent

[*] posted on 26-9-2012 at 13:21
Menthol

I searched menthol and there is a suprising lack of mention. I was shocked because it is such an interesting molecule. It has so many cool properties and uses. I just felt it needed its own thread.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 26-9-2012 at 14:30

I agree, it is interesting, but to start a discussion you need to bring more to the table in your post. Include some synthesis refrences and experiments, some extraction and isolation information, maybe even a brief description and some applications you find interesting.

Check out the Forum Guidelines as they will help you craft a post that will be better recieved and avoid getting on any of the mods/members nerves. For instance, without references, this thread will likely be place in beginings.

Good luck,
TheBot.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Teen Chemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-9-2012 at 16:58

How about this, I am currently trying to extract menthol from a pain reliever called Biofreeze by boiling the jel in water then cooling it to recrystalize.

[Edited on 27-9-2012 by Teen Chemist]
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 27-9-2012 at 00:48

Menthol Topic:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16366#...

[Edited on 27-9-2012 by Waffles SS]
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 27-9-2012 at 02:35

Quote: Originally posted by Teen Chemist  
I am currently trying to extract menthol from a pain reliever called Biofreeze by boiling the jel in water then cooling it to recrystalize.

According to the MSDS, Biofreeze is 15 - 40% Isopropyl Alcohol, 3%-7% L-Menthol and 1%-5% glycerin. Presumably, the remainder is water. The isopropyl alcohol forms an azeotrope with a bp of 80.37ºC, so that should be the first fraction to come off. Next is the isopropyl alcohol itself, with a bp of 82.5ºC. At that point, you will be left with water, menthol, and glycerine. L-menthol freezes at 41-43ºC, while glycerine does not freeze until 18.17ºC, so you should be able to crystallize it out of the solution. (Of course, these numbers are altered a little by the fact that the substances are mixed together, but the MPs and BPs are separated enough that it should not change the outcome.)

I also urge you to take precautions when boiling off IPA around an open flame.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
27-9-2012 at 06:56
Teen Chemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-9-2012 at 11:15

I use a hot plate to heat most of the things that need heating.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 27-9-2012 at 11:40

What would be interesting to see is if someone could oxidize it to menthone (the ketone) and then further to break open the ring.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Go To Top