Author: Subject: help me with extractions
mordoh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2004 at 15:02
help me with extractions

Hello..

please help me, i need to extract flavonoids from plants
do you know of a simple protocol that i can seperate them from the plant tincture,

i also need to know how (if i cant seperate the flavonoids) i can get rid of un needed substance in the plant - like wax, oils etc .. - i heard about hexan, chloroform (are they toxic?) and Naphtha

also if you can help me by giving me a protocol of isolating catechins from green tea

one more question, what is the diffrence between extraction of herb with acetone and with ethanol ?

thanks alot , i really need answers.
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2004 at 19:28

You can extract THC with ethanol and thenn drink the alcohol or evaporate it off to get reasonably good hash oil (~65 % THC I believe). I think acetone will also work with this. Further purification of the oil can be done using some other techniques, they can be found on www.erowid.org.

There's no difference between ethanol and acetone in terms of extractions. It all depends on which solvent the chemical you're trying to isolate is more soluble in. I think acetone is the superior solvent with weed but I could be wrong, I've read that acetone "rips the crap out of weed" which I assumed meant that it really took out a lot of the THC along with other unwanted chemicals.

I think most extractions deal with acid/base extraction, which is the case with alkaloids. Basically you acidify the alkaloid and it may jump out of whichever solvent in its salt form. I could be wrong on this one, however...

mordoh
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-6-2004 at 01:55

thanks for the answer but its kind of not what i was looking for, im not intrested in extracting THC , but in extracting Flavonoids and Catechins....
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2004 at 02:03

Yeah, sorry about that. Someone else had posted a reply when I read this and they thought you were talking about weed. And they were going on about weed and extracting or something, so I was mainly replying to that. Anyways, they deleted it and now I look like a fool.

Sorry about this.

I'm sure you could find some stuff on google as well, if you'd take the time..

mordoh
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-6-2004 at 02:10

i did try to look up this things in goole and yahoo and anywhere, .. im not a chemist and i dont really understand about this stuff alot, ,.. only from what i learned online and from my brother (which is biologic) .... thats why i wrote here the questions to see if anyone can give me some answers about them because i really need to know this stuff....
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 23:59

Ethanol or acetone may be too polar to extract larger-molecule or less polar,
substances from plants, such as flavonoids or anthocyanins or vitamin-A precursors

A somewhat less polar solvent than ethanol or acetone is diethyl ether, which I used to extract substances from plant material on one occasion. However, it is much more volatile, and forms an explosive peroxide on prolonged exposure to air.

Other less polar solvents which would be better than ethanol or acetone in
extracting substances from plants, and are less volatile, would be n- or iso-propyl alcohol, n- or tert-butyl alcohol, amyl alcohol; or for the leastpolar substances, something like toluene or hexane.

John W.

Go To Top