Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrolysis to produce red iron oxide Question
new2chem
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 13:38
Electrolysis to produce red iron oxide Question

Hello everybody, I'm totally new to chemistry, but I'm trying to learn. In three months I'll be taking Chemistry I and II, so soon I'll be able to call myself a beginner. Until then I'm doing small experiments and educating myself. Would one of you helpful and friendly chemistry guys/gals explain to me what is happening during electrolysis. I'm using table salt and regular water. I have two old screws attached to 9 volts immersed in this solution. I see a reaction, but what exactly is happening?
Anybody?

hydrolysis.png - 507kB

[Edited on 3-10-2012 by new2chem]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 13:51

You are doing electrolysis not hydrolysis. On my website I'm slowly building up a database about electrosynthesis. You are making Iron II hydroxide (dark green) which then oxidize because of dissolved oxygen into Iron III hydroxide (brown).

Reaction equations:

2Cl- - 2e- -) Cl2
2H2O + 2e- -) H2 + 2OH-
2Na+ + 2OH- -) 2NaOH
Cl2 + Fe -) FeCl2
FeCl2 + 2NaOH -) 2NaCl + Fe(OH)2

Overall:
Fe + 2e- + 2H2O -) H2 + Fe(OH)2

Oxygen oxydation:
4Fe(OH)2 + O2 + 2H2O -) 2Fe2(OH)6

If you have any other question you can ask me on the contact tab of my website or via U2U.

[Edited on 3-10-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
new2chem
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 14:32

Ok, thank you. I know more now than I did a couple of hours ago :D

Keep up with your electrosynthysis project, I am bookmarking your website.
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 23:52

Plante: My website (Sorry for adf.ly but I need way to get money for new chemistry equipment/reagent) :
http://adf.ly/9YqGI I can not make head or tail of this, I'm either waiting for the video to load (hours) Is this an advertising video? I can not see any links buttons pulls levers bobbles togs or anything to find your website?

I was simply interested in your project.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 03:23

It should be easier now to access on my website, it was advertising and in the upper corner there was a skip this add button. Simply click on the link in my signature.

I never asked for this.

Go To Top