Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The House I Live In, a documentary film by Eugene Jarecki
learningChem
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 14:25

Quote:
Why only at the pharmacy and why not at the liquor store, for example?

Right - liquor store or supermarket or online - and so what.

Quote:
A readily-available example (of state sponsored cartelization) is the dairy industry in the USA.

Right, big business tend to do that - and they are able to do it thanks to dumb ignorant lefties who want 'regulation'.

Quote:
The larger point I'd like to stress is that the amateur science world is not prepared for success with a decriminalization agenda.

What? There's no such thing as 'amateur science' - just a bunch of hobbysts doing some practical chemistry. The main obstacle to their hobby is regulations restricting the free buying and selling of certain goods. Get rid of the regulations and the problem for your 'amateur science' is solved.

[Edited on 14-4-2013 by learningChem]
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 15:14

What's that, Sciencemadness is actually a fascist quasi-dictatorship? That explains the poster of Polverone that appeared on the ceiling, telling me to give up my money for the administration's general coffers. And how people are instantly banned the second they suggest any impropriety in the actions of the administration. And how the motto of Sciencemadness is "God on our side". And how all the intellectuals are subjugated. Really, I don't see how I didn't see it before.

EDIT: On a more serious note, regulation is not the exclusive province of the left-wing. For example, consider the "Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act" passed under Bush, and the "DEA", created under Nixon.

[Edited on 14-4-2013 by Vargouille]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 15:46

Quote:
A specific aspect of Internet arguments that does not in any way mitigate their terribleness is this: They can’t be won.

All good things come to an end. Internet arguments never come to an end. You don’t need me to finish the syllogism. In the absence of an end condition, there’s only whoever has the last word. So all online arguments come down to the two people who just will not shut up. They’re like contestants in a Fifties-era dance marathon, each bodily dragging their own limp argument around the dance floor in hopes that the other will collapse first.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/alt-text-internet-arg...

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 15:47

Quote:
On a more serious note, regulation is not the exclusive province of the left-wing.

Right, it isn't - and I never said it is. Regulation favors both right wing and left wing special interests.

[Edited on 14-4-2013 by learningChem]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:04

Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:07

Bromic, that was beautiful...

learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:36

I don't get BromicAcid's point. Apart from the rather dumb joke.

learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:38

By the way, BromicAcid's posts and yours Finnicus look pretty off topic.

[Edited on 15-4-2013 by learningChem]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:52

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:55

Do you have more of these? :D

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:57

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3809-internet-argument-techniqu...

learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 16:58

Yeah BromicAcid, keep posting off topic garbage.

Wait. Shouldn't you be doing something useful instead of trolling? Guess you can't even follow your own advice? tsk tsk...

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 17:20

You can't win arguments on the internet, it's impossible. But it is possible to defeat an argument by getting a thread locked. Your post, your very first post to this thread put it into a downward spiral. And as soon as you made the apples to apples comparison between poll results with the astounding sample size of 52 individuals and the general attitude of a forum with 12902 members you dragged this thread down from Mr. Fawkes original ideal to some sort of hole in the ground where people defecate.

There is a reason that all political discussion has been taboo on this forum for some time. We're not making brownies here, this is a chemistry forum first and foremost. The people on this forum are essentially co-workers and there needs to be a level of trust and professional etiquette there else-wise the filth flows over into other areas of this forum. There is a reason we don't have avatars, that the look is clean and simple, it's because we don't have time to deal with shit.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 17:35

I prefer to end arguments by not replying.

Working mechanism:
Since the idiot who insists on MUST POST LAST WORD PWNZ0RZ!!!! will obviously make a fool of himself consistently, there is no need to attempt to disprove his argument nor show others that he is any more of an idiot than he already makes himself out to be. Take the high road and leave him sputtering.

But really, it was a good movie. Highly recommended. Anyone else here catch it?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 03:25

watson.fawkes - I will admit I was only considering my ideal model for legalization.

I do have trouble believing that things could be worse with legalization than they are now. No regulation could possibly be harsher than a felony. Without houses and hotels going off like firecrackers on the 4th, as is the case with the "shake and bake," littering highways with toxic trash, the chemical hysteria would probably die down quickly.

Quote: Originally posted by learningChem  
Quote:
Polverone and I started this forum and neither of us has ever supported the "War on Drugs" in any capacity.

And yet it seems to me that this forum complies pretty well with american government dictates, if not fully in print, at least in spirit.

Yes, there are a few people speaking out against the so called war on drugs, but the majority either support it, or don't give a damn about it (that is they tacitly support it).

Quote:
I do agree with watson.fawkes that most cooks are lazy and irresponsible, poisoning themselves, their friends or customers, and the environment.

Bullshit. And I see that 'fawkes' is still ranting about 'drugs'...while pretending that he'd support 'decriminalization'

We don't have to dedicate this forum to public policy matters to personally oppose the criminalization of health problems. You are in the wrong place if you want to focus on such topics - this is a chemistry forum, not a drug forum, not a political forum. There is a myriad of such places for you to visit, but there is only one Sciencemadness. Go to a drug forum if you want to discuss how to make meth. Go to a political forum if you want to discuss the injustices imposed in your country.

And the sad truth is most cooks are lazy and irresponsible. When was the last time one bottled and labeled their waste and paid for disposal? When was the last time one used analytical equipment to test for mercury after an Al/Hg reduction? How many do any tests whatsoever for purity, or run columns to isolate their materials?

If you were familiar with how rigorous the standards are for pharmaceuticals, and why they are so (toxicity problems having occurred), you would be appalled by what is considered "quality" by cooks. I wouldn't want to ingest anything they produce, that's for sure. Big crystals do not mean the sample is pure. Co-crystallization of impurities can and will still occur. But without analytical equipment, you will never even realize this is happening.

Quote: Originally posted by learningChem  
Here
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=18434&...

40% of the vote supports outright fascism while the majority of the rest seems to be comfortable with the current level of 'polite' fascism.

I thought you may had found a poll where 40% supported dragging drug users before firing squads. Sorry, but believing Sciencemadness is an inappropriate place for discussions that have little do to with a scientific mentality, and much more to do with grinding phosphorus off matchbooks and extracting pills, does not make one a "fascist." It does, however, make you presumptuous and rude, for making such a claim.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 04:59

Quote: Originally posted by madscientist  
I do have trouble believing that things could be worse with legalization than they are now. No regulation could possibly be harsher than a felony. Without houses and hotels going off like firecrackers on the 4th, as is the case with the "shake and bake," littering highways with toxic trash, the chemical hysteria would probably die down quickly.
I do agree that pretty much any legalization would be better than the present situation, and that the hysteria would die down. The regulation I am concerned about, however, would not derive from hysteria but from lobbyists.

For example, consider the case of licensing and home laboratories. I find it completely plausible that as a part of some political negotiation there's a new rule requiring, well, whatever to have a home laboratory and also requiring a license. Not having the license would then be itself a crime, and a new crime at that. There are many such possibilities for the creation of new crimes, not only this one example. I am concerned that there will be regressions if the legal regime changes.
learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 15:19

BromicAcid,

Do you want me to reply to the nonsense you posted? Do you happen to be 'arguing'? Do you even get a glimpse of how laughable your contradictory 'non-arguments' is?

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 15:34

@watson.fawkes - No showings by me but I see that it is available on demand through Amazon, iTunes, etc. From the quotes from critics and everyone else I find myself intrigued.

learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 15:57

Quote:
You are in the wrong place if you want to focus on such topics - this is a chemistry forum, not a drug forum, not a political forum.

Am I in the wrong place? I'm posting in one thread in a sub forum explicitly devoted to NON chemistry, LEGAL and SOCIETAL issues. Hell, the thread is even about chemistry (partially).

By the way, after getting a load of bullshit by fawkes and other idiots in a thread I started (about CHEMISTRY) I don't see why I can't set things right here.
Quote:
When was the last time one bottled and labeled their waste and paid for disposal?

Are you joking? Should clandestine chemists also turn themselves in to the pigs?
Quote:
If you were familiar with how rigorous the standards are for pharmaceuticals, and why they are so (toxicity problems having occurred), you would be appalled by what is considered "quality" by cooks.

Oh, the big, and corrupt pharmaceutical cartel and their standards used to restrict competition. Funny, one of the few things fawkes got right, you ignore it...
Quote:
I thought you may had found a poll where 40% supported dragging drug users before firing squads.

Why do you think they don't? Do you think the war on drugs, and things like the highest incarceration rate in the world are not hallamrks of fascism? Oh, wait, maybe that's 'american' 'freedom' for you...

To me, it seems a safe bet that people who want to ban all talk about 'drugs' also support the war on drugs.
Quote:
It does, however, make you presumptuous and rude, for making such a claim.

Well, I'm a bit old to learn the manners of polite hypocrisy now...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top