Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LP Chemicals
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 03:21
LP Chemicals

Sadly, they only now sell to UK registered companies at business addresses.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 04:15

Tory-dominated coalition asserting itself in the business sphere. . . ?
strontiumred
Harmless

Mood: Delocalised

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 06:08

Are you using this site: http://www.lpchemicals.com/

I haven't ordered anything from them for a couple of years but my account seems to still be there and they still take credit cards. Have you contacted them?

Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 06:33

I was talking to a friend of mine who said they placed an order with them recently. That was the site they used.

They were told that LP Chemicals supplies only to registered businesses in commercial premises following consultations with the Home Office.

If you wish to try otherwise, be my guest and report back.
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 06:41

*Sigh* Me and my friend are both miserable.

Where can British nationals emigrate to where chemistry and lab supplies are readily available without these sort of chemophobic restrictions?
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

thumbdown.gif posted on 10-10-2012 at 09:23

This is both troubling and illuminating.

LP (aka. Lab Pak) chemicals was a good source for home chemists in the UK; I've made several orders in the past with no trouble, as I'm sure many of my fellow Brits have. I had recently been scouring their site planning a new order - scratch that notion then.

However, there are often musings here as to why suppliers don't sell to individuals - we are often told 'we don't sell to individuals because we don't sell to individuals' or sentiments of that ilk. We wonder why and perhaps, it is just that we are not economical to sell to...

Now, we have an example - the UK government does seek to interfer with sources of chemicals sold to individuals. This is most likely anti-terror/drugs related, as we don't even appear on the radar. An opposite (ridiculous - bear with me) extreme would be banning petrol sales to individuals, as it may be used by terrorists. This, naturally, would never happen as it affects everyone, the point being that when you reduce those affected by the ban to a handful of people then there is no uproar.

In short, the powers that be will ban anything they can get away with banning to make it look like they're doing something about a 'problem', (compare the number of road deaths with deaths from terrorism...)

Find your nearest fellow mad scientists! Add yourself to the Science Madness Hackspace map today!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 10:39

Very good points, and I agree. I must say though, the comparison of road deaths to attacks has little efficacy due to the fact that acts of terrorism have a large reaching and very impactfull negative effect on the population. Emotionally, behaviorly, and economically I would assume. Vehicle accidents on the other hand, while often horrific and disturbingly frequent are common place and have little effect on the "herd," other than the actual casualties, injuries, expense, etc. Considering this, it makes since to prioritize in such a way, not that ulterior motives don't factor in.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 11:32

Well put; it's true that they are somewhat chalk and cheese to compare on more than a pure numbers level. I think it does highlight the 'herd mentality' that you speak of - it is the fear of terror attacks (clue in the name) that acts on our emotional centres before we rationally consider how little it truly affects us, and the government acts to please the herd. And so we unthinkingly accept so many deaths on the roads every year; one is much more likely to die in an RTA than through terrorist action, though we all jump in the car and scoot off without a second thought - "that's just the way it is", we might say.

I suppose if people were to be equally scared of their morning commute as they are of 'The Terrorist', then we might (as a whole) start paying a bit more attention at the wheel and start respecting each other on the roads. Either that or we'd all work from home! Can you tell careless driving is one of my pet peeves? ;)

Coming back to the OT, things like this are bound to happen given our door-mat minority status. Thankfully, we have a well developed community with a resourceful mindset finding new / forgotten ways to our raw materials.

I believe the expression is: 'Challenge accepted' :)

Find your nearest fellow mad scientists! Add yourself to the Science Madness Hackspace map today!
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 13:35

I asked my friend for more details and he forwarded me this email from LP Chemicals:

"Unfortunately we now only supply chemicals to UK registered companies at their works address. We no longer supply hazardous chemicals to individuals, or to businesses at a residential address. This is standard working practice within our industry and follows advice from the Home Office. We will, therefore, not be able to supply your order on this occasion."

So it seems that not only is this LP Chemicals' policy, it is now industry-wide following "advice" from the Home Office.
DMTiGGer
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 08:35

I find it impossible to get naphtha in the UK, the lighter fluid canisters are all over the place with content quality and oil. 2L Naptha is impossible to buy unless you go from shop to shop buying one 125ml can a time, looked everywhere. Had to use acetone from my friends dads boat in the end. I notice they don't sell it either :(

Tescos and other big supermarkets are not even allowed to sell lighter fluid anymore due to UK laws as of this year, but small businesses still get away with it.

[Edited on 5-11-2012 by DMTiGGer]

Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off - Richard Dawkins
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 09:29

I'm almost certain I saw a 2.5L jerrycan of naptha in Homebase a few months ago, near the barbecue things IIRC, at the end of the shop (near the outdoor section) - although I don't know if the arrangement of your local shop will be the same.

I've had a look on their website and can't see it, but have a look soon and you may be surprised.

Poundland sells lighter fluid in 100ml bottles.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
shannon dove
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 08:25

Similar situation, if a law bans people keeping tigers and alligators as pets, there is no uproar because so few people are interested in these animals as pets, but if there is a ban on keeping pitt-bulls and Rottweilers as pets there would be a tremendous uproar.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 18:37

The difference between terrorism and car accidents to humans is the perception of malicious intent. We fear this more because this is how we've evolved to be. We see malice in everything; the dark, the weather, inanimate objects, etc. If car accidents had a purpose-driven human face attached to it, it would be very different.

Furthermore, people don't want to give things up themselves but are perfectly willing to give up the things of others. For example, how many of us here would be upset if they banned a certain type of scary looking weapon? We say, "What legitimate use can that thing have?", "The only place for that thing is in the hands of a police officer or other government agent". In this case we have used a similar argument that every Joe Sixpack uses to get chemicals banned (or be apathetic about it anyway) in order to justify taking something "we" (not me) don't like away from others. We're all just so scared of everyone else. And we're not necessarily afraid of the objects but the people. Our minds are just obsessed with fearing the malice or absentmindedness of the guy down the street whether he owns a hazardous chemical, mean dog, steak knife or black metal weapon.

Perhaps some of you, then, can understand why they don't care about our hobby. Nobody gives a shit about anybody else as long as they feel safe.

[Edited on 12-10-2012 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 19:23

MJP actually the PARANOID "state of mind" which you are describing is sadly very prevalent is a neurosis which has been "trained" and conditioned into people who have literally been "programmed" and brainwashed to think that way is "normal". News media which function as propaganda ministries and schools and universities further what are in fact DECEPTIONS and redefine blind acceptance of those deceptions as being "knowledge". The people best equipped with such "knowledge" are the most clueless human beings who ever lived.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 06:47

ha the complexity of the human brain! in an ever changing complex and unforgiving society! nonsenses and meaningless actions , what a treat!

seriously guys no acetone in the UK? wow ! this is more fucked up than i thought! maybe it has something to do with TATP and the London attack a few years ago...

its getting harder and harder people, and we do not have the public on our side

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 28-12-2012 at 05:55

Acetone can easily be bought online in the UK and in HomeBargains shops as nail polish remover (probably pure enough, but a distillation is recommended) in pink bottles.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Go To Top