Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Steam generator.
beastmaster
Harmless

Mood: hyper

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 19:48
Steam generator.

I have a pressure cooker I want to use to generate steam for distillations and some maybe dumb questions.
I don't think I need it to have any pressure or very little, so could I just attach reinforced clear tubing to the outlet in the top? Or does it need another hole to allow air in as well as the outlet?
Do I have to use copper line? I know regular pvc clear hose would get to soft from the heat, but would the reinforced stuff stand up to the heat? I would like to avoid soldering if I could.
Thanks for any input.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 20:28

No air inlet is needed - it would just allow steam to escape!
Tygon plastic tubing works fine. You can see my generator here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13122#...

I often place a steam trap in-line just before the end user of the steam, especially when doing a steam distillation. This collects the condensate that forms in the line. I use a large separatory funnel as trap.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 21:09

Quote: Originally posted by beastmaster  
Or does it need another hole to allow air in as well as the outlet?
You don't need such a hole when generating steam, as Magpie said. But, you might want something like it, not for when you're generating steam, but right when you're done. As the boiler cools off, the steam in the vessel condensed, forming a vacuum that will suck gas back through the steam line. For some uses, this causes no problems. For others, it's undesirable. Another opening would have a bleed valve put on that can be opened when the boiler starts to cool off. Even easier, though it's more of a specialty part, you can put a three-way valve on the steam outlet, with the three positions labelled closed, generate, and bleed.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 15-10-2012 at 09:59

Or, you can just pull the Tygon tubing off the hose barb on the pressure cooker when finished. This will allow air to enter the cooker.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2012 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Or, you can just pull the Tygon tubing off the hose barb on the pressure cooker when finished
It's true. Though, I have to say, I've got a roll of silicone tubing (don't know exact composition), that I can't pull off anything quickly. It seems to contract on a barb when I tug on it, holding it tighter. For that tubing, at least, I'd definitely use a valve instead of yanking ever-harder on a hot boiler.
beastmaster
Harmless

Mood: hyper

[*] posted on 15-10-2012 at 18:34

Thanks a lot you've both been very helpful. I was worried about it locking up(vapor locking)and not be able to put out steam with out a breather inlet. You set my mind at ease.

Go To Top