Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Problem in Chlorate
pioneer
Harmless

Mood: very good

[*] posted on 18-10-2012 at 14:09

Thank you seems a good guide tomorrow morning I start working on it and hope for the best
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2012 at 14:37

pioneer you keep saying your power supply can manage 20A but what's the actual current flowing in your cell? some pics would also help.

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
http://www.oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/chlorate.html

outstanding resource.
pioneer
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 01:31

Well I do it all my new cathode and anode Titanium will be lead (can lead normal?)
And I will shoot pictures and by the way I know my amp's listed 20 amps 5 volts and I do not know how much current into the cell how do I check it? Matt and I will Thank you all photos
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
pioneer
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 06:43

Carbon is good to create Chlorate? If so then I will buy and I will run my cell and return answer what is going

[Edited on 19-10-2012 by pioneer]
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 11:03

Carbon anodes work well. Using a knifetip of K2Cr2O7 will keep the pH good and the temperature should be 50-70ÂșC.

See here on my site.

http://www.metallab.net/KClO3
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by metalresearcher  
http://www.metallab.net/KClO3

your website is useless unless you give us an OTC source of raguletto and pindakaas =D
CrEaTiVePyroScience
Hazard to Self

Mood: Explosive

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 11:44

An alternative proces to make KClO3 from all day materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpOnragd8Is
pioneer
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 13:15

Thank you all very much helped me Sunday I start over because I ran out of salt and I will return answers thanks
pioneer
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-10-2012 at 06:16

Quote: Originally posted by CrEaTiVePyroScience  

To do this you have sodium chlorate and I can not get it

[Edited on 20-10-2012 by pioneer]
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2012 at 23:15

Quote: Originally posted by pioneer  
Quote: Originally posted by CrEaTiVePyroScience  

To do this you have sodium chlorate and I can not get it

if you read the captions in the video it tells you to 'boil down bleach until you see crystals' in order to get NaClO3..although this has little to do with the electrochemical prep.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 17-11-2012 at 21:04

I have a platinum anode (basically a 1-inch Pt wire taped onto a thick copper wire) and a copper cathode. Will this make potassium chlorate from KCl, or better yet the perchlorate if I pump 14V, 2 or 6A into the cell?
I did UTFSE, but came up with no official topic on chlorate/perchlorate electrolysis, not even using Google.
Are there any other specifications for the production of these two great oxidizers? (Temperature of cell, duration of run, possible failures, drying the product, hydroscopicity, etc., etc.)
If there is an official thread for this, please redirect me to it.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
tatapouette
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-11-2012 at 02:26

Hi all !

Do you need extra-pure NaClO3 ?

I don't know what the regulation rules are in your country, but in mine, till a couple of years, you could buy sodium chlorate solution in water (i think concentration was about 100g/L) just for a few bucks at local store.
It would probably have been of better quality than what you'd get with your own preparation and all you'd have to do would have been to let water evaporate...

Unfortunately, it seems than enough people made uncontrolled explosions with it for this product to have been banned nowadays...

As already said in security threads, running your first try on such quantities as liters and hundreds of grams is NOT recommended. Even if you don't 'feel' it could be dangerous.

And, finally, (dry) sodium chlorate does burn extremely well, is toxic for environment and is toxic for user.
Be careful about what you'll do with it...
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2012 at 02:41

NaClO3 is also labeled in some farm stores as "weed killer", or at least it used to be. I haven't hunted for it for years.
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 18:59

I need some trouble shooting help. I made KClO3 from KCl using electrolysis a few times, no problem. Then I tried a batch of NaCl to NaClO3 using the same set up of mason jar, MMO for both anode and cathode, computer power supply i made into bench power supply (5 volts, not sure of the amps.) I ran this cell for 48 hours, and then a got a titanium rod, so i switched out the cathode , replaced it with the rod, and ran the cell three more days. also, i had the jar on a small coffee hot plate the whole time, it was about 58C. anyway, this worked very well, i ended up with lovely white crystals of NaClO3.
The next time i tried, i started with the MMO anode and the titanium rod cathode, did everything else the same, except instead of the trader joes sea salt i used the first time, this time i used mortons UNiodized salt, but it did have calcium silicate in it. also, i wrapped a towel around the jar to try to keep it warmer. ran the cell 5 days, ended up with almost nothing, like the salt seemed to vanish! wtf?!
take 3, same set up as take 2, but this time no towel. mortons salt again. ran 5 days, and it seems the NaCl has magically transformed into NaCl. like nothing happened.
today, i started take 4, using MMO for both electrodes again. and mortons salt. is my titanium rod an imposter? does the calcium silicate mess it up? a post in this thread says titanium does not work, but others have had success with titanium cathodes. anyone?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 19:08

Titanium works fine as a cathode.
Try heating the solution to boiling and see if any precipitates upon cooling.
This might be a dumb question, but did you keep adding sodium chloride to maintain near saturation? Because sodium chlorate is much more soluble than chloride, so even if all the chloride was converted to chlorate, nothing will precipitate unless you continually add more chloride as the cell runs.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 20:28

i topped off the jar as needed with more of the saturated NaCl solution, but i did not add enough NaCl to keep the whole of the electrolyte saturated. but what about my third attempt where the salt didnt change? at least i dont think it is chlorate, i mixed it with sugar and i cant get it to burn.

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by Hellafunt]
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 14:11

Some reading

www.oxidizing.typhoonguitars.com
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 05:52

May I suggested you also try a simplied photolysis analysis approach to chlorate formation (discussed at the end of this thread, link: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=34429 ).

If anything, the sunlight will boost your Vitamin D level and you may feel better :).
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 08:33

Thank you, thats some interesting reading. For the last batch I did, I used MMO for both electrodes, the cheap salt, and I had a great result once again. I ended up with around 315 grams of NaClO3, starting with 200 grams of salt, and adding more solution as the level went down. It took about 5 days. I think my "titanium" rod is fake, it is all pitted now on the surface and it never produced any chlorate. I have to do a search for titanium tests....

[Edited on 19-3-2015 by Hellafunt]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 09:35

Quote: Originally posted by pioneer  
Carbon is good to create Chlorate? If so then I will buy and I will run my cell and return answer what is going
[Edited on 19-10-2012 by pioneer]

The major issue I see with employing carbon is a potential problematic carbon contamination in the KClO3 could occur on some run.

I do not have any experience in sensitiving the chlorate (that is, in forming a shock sensitive explosive), but my gut tells me this is asking for an unsuspecting detonation with the contaminated dry KClO3.

Energetic materials are unpredictable as I recall one member discussing a preparation that never seem to present an explosion risk until one time it did!
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 23:19

I am setting up an electrolysis cell to make my own potassium chlorate as it is very hard to obtain in my country.
I have Potassium chloride and have ordered an MMO anode and Titanium cathode as a set from ebay.
The only thing I'm not 100% on is the power supply. Can I use a 6 volt battery charger from an auto store? Has anyone had any success with this?
Or would something like this work from ebay as the power supply as the volts and amps can be set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-PRECISION-1601-Variable-DC-Power-...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

[Edited on 29-3-2015 by greenlight]
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 23:34

you may want to consider converting an old computer power supply to a lab power supply. there are dozens of tutorials on line explaining how to do it. i know almost nothing about electronics, but i was able to make one of these from on line instructions, and it works great for making potassium chlorate. check out woelen's website.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 23:36

Yeah I've used more than my share of cheap cellphone chargers and similar power supply's for chlorate. They work, but it's a waste of time, the current is way too low to be useful for big batches.
The one you linked is not ideal either. Current is only 2 amperes which is not really better than your average phone charger. You could hook several cells in series to make use of higher voltage (two cells for 10V, three cells for 15V etc.) but then you'd need more anodes.
Here's the one I use, if it ships to Australia this is about as good a deal as possible.

[Edited on 29-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 29-3-2015 at 00:28

Thanks for the replies guys, I too don't know much about electronics at all. I think I will try the one molecular Manipulations uses if it will ship here and if not I will try convert a computer power supply.

@Molecular Manipulations, do you have to attach a plug to the power supply you linked so it can be plugged into an electrical outlet? I still am a bit sketchy on how the unit is connected up and powered itself?

And if that one will not ship to Australia will this one be just as good to use, it is the same voltage and amperage?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kepco-5V-20A-TESTED-Power-Supply-RAX...

Thanks for the help guys

[Edited on 29-3-2015 by greenlight]
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-3-2015 at 06:44

Yeah you do. It's super easy though, just strip the ends of any outlet wire, there's two terminals where you tighten then in place. I also know for a fact that there's a switch on the board that lets you switch between 220 voltage or 110, so it'll work there.

-The manipulator
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top