Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Column chromatography for separation of liquids/solvents?
Biochemscientist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2012 at 15:25
Column chromatography for separation of liquids/solvents?

Can column chromatography be used for the separation or purification of liquids and solvents? For instance, can ethanol be separated from water or from acetone via column chromatography? Why or why not?
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2012 at 15:35

NO.

For liquids sure but the liquid should have specific properties e.g.: 2chlorotoluene could be separated from 2 nitrotoluene.

The other thing is that column chomatography works with small amount of the purifing chemicals. E.g.: we needed to clean 60g azulene and we used a 170cm tall and nearly 20cm diameter column.

The third thing is that the separation is not as You think. We add a mixture and we add a solvent system what will cause that our mixture will flow with different speed on the column.

Fourth: WHY IS THIS IN THE ORGO SECTION?

Fifth: Ethanol could be separated from water in a few hundred way, read a bit.

Sixth: column chromatography is not for continuous separation.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Biochemscientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2012 at 16:30

Ethanol and water do have specific properties. They are different molecules with different molecular weights, different polarities, etc. I am already aware that there are plenty of other suitable methods which can be used to separate or purify liquids. My goal with this post was not to determine the best possible method for such a purification, but to determine whether column chromatography can be used to separate solvents and other liquids.

I chose water and ethanol merely as an example. Since water is more polar than ethanol, wouldn't the water cling to a polar stationary phase more than the ethanol, thus causing the ethanol to elute first?
Is anyone here capable of explaining to me the underlying chemical reasons why this would or would not work, rather than just replying "yes" or "no"?

Thanks.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 21-10-2012 at 17:20

Sure, you would easily be able to separate water and ethanol by chromatography. However, ask yourself what would be the composition of the mobile phase?

Imagine injecting a sample containing both water and ethanol onto a suitable column. What would you then use to elute them from the column? You'd get two peaks, one of water and one of ethanol, each of which contains a tiny amount of either compound, and both of which will contain whatever solvent you used to elute them from the column.
To separate a useful quantity, you'd need to repeat this many, many, many, many, many (ad nauseum) times. Distillation is much more practical and cheap and doesn't involve a third solvent.

[Edited on 22-10-2012 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Moved
21-10-2012 at 18:27

Go To Top