Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to use lithium inplace of Butyl lithium
vinothan23
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 23-10-2012 at 09:09
Want to use lithium inplace of Butyl lithium

I want to use Lithium metal inplace of butyl lithium for the reaction i have attached. kindly suggest me will it work or not. And i also want to know why people use Butyl lithium not Lithium metal even though lithium is much cheaper than Butyl lithium.

Attachment: CPMAug2007.doc (40kB)
This file has been downloaded 384 times

[Edited on 23-10-2012 by vinothan23]
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 23-10-2012 at 09:23

I don't see how using Li metal would work. Li is a reducing agent, BuLi is a very strong base, and based on the mechanism shown, you need to metallate the benzene ring, a job for an alkyllithium base. The Li-O coordination is also clearly important so another metal would not stand in as well. Lithium metal would do one-electron reductions and make a mess.

You can substitute another alkyllithium, but metallic lithium won't get you anywhere.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
vinothan23
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-10-2012 at 09:43

Bt Sir Li is also a very strong base....
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 23-10-2012 at 09:50

Yes, but it would do single-electron reductions as it itself has only one valence electron, making a mess of your reaction. The intermediate 'II' also suggests you need the alkyl group. If you are attempting a synthesis like this, then you should probably be able to work out questions like these yourself.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-10-2012 at 11:53

Quote: Originally posted by vinothan23  
Bt Sir Li is also a very strong base....

Lithium is not a base. It is a metal. For obvious reasons, it can not be used in such directed ortho-lithiations.

If you have lithium, then why don't you just use it to make n-BuLi? Nevertheless, I suggest you avoid organolithium chemistry until you learn some basics. When working with pyrophoric materials, lack of knowledge can cause lack of life.

PS: Please open threads without references only in the Beginnings section. Read the forum guidelines for more information on how to properly open threads. Also, do not attach Word files for pictures, or any other file format that requires external viewers. Attach a picture instead.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
23-10-2012 at 11:54
vinothan23
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-10-2012 at 22:20

I am using sodium, potassium, sodium hydride and butyl lithium from last four years i mean i have good enough experience in working with pyrophoric materials. I have used sodium metal for amide deprotonation (HUNTERA ND JONESJ,. Chem. SOC.9,4 1 1930 ). But in picture butyl lithium is used. My worry is about aromatic deprotonation ( second deprotonation, see picture). We know that phenyl lithium is prepared by lithium metal why i cant i use lithium here.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 24-10-2012 at 09:57

Quote: Originally posted by vinothan23  
But in picture butyl lithium is used. My worry is about aromatic deprotonation ( second deprotonation, see picture). We know that phenyl lithium is prepared by lithium metal why i cant i use lithium here.

BuLi is not needed for the deprotonation and lithiation of the amide (LiH could do that as well), but is needed for the directed ortho-lithiation. What you call a "second deprotonation" is obviously not that. That reaction is called "directed ortho-lithiation" and requires an alkyllithium, LDA or LiTMP. If you check its reaction mechanism, you will immediately see why lithium cannot be used.

And phenyllithium is prepared from lithium and a halobenzene, which is something very different. It can't be prepared from lithium and benzene, but can be made by letting BuLi react with benzene.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top