Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: PbO
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-3-2005 at 21:33

Picture.

LeadAcidGlop.jpg - 29kB
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 22:23

...On another note, I've been soaking lead bits in strong HCl for the last week or two, occasionally stirring up the gray/white crud, decanting and drying it. Well here's an odd one, I seem to have a yellow/green coloration to the solution. PbCl2 doesn't dissolve much, and is white anyway, doubtful that's the culprit. Besides, after letting the acid sit a while, I get a layer on top of clear white acid! There are also a few drops of the stuff left in the bucket with the lead, it's almost oily in that it seems to be at least partially seperated and floating.

It could be iron or copper ions (though the latter is unlikely with lead metal in solution, though at this pH that would be an equilibrium of Cu in solution depsite the Pb, no?), but that wouldn't explain the seperation.

I'll take a photo tomorrow...

Tim
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 19:29
Alternate PbO method?

KClO3 has low solubility (and as I recall, tends to plate Pb alone), and as I don't have any NaClO3 or KNO3 on hand, I can't really do much for electrolytic corrosion of lead. So I was thinking, I have a pretty good amount of CuO on hand, let's react that. Thermite won't have enough energy from Cu > Pb to sustain, so it'll need cooking, but how much? Enough to melt Pb, okay, but what of the CuO, and PbO and Cu products?

I'm guessing I should melt the PbO, which unfortunately is a powerful flux (see: lead crystal), and being below iron will oxidize it as well. So that leaves what, tough alumina-glazed crucibles to try?
Also the problem of getting solid PbO as a result, that might be hard to grind...

Oh, and hrm, I suppose I could try sodium acetate. I guess I'll neutralize some and give it a try...

Tim

P.S. ssssss...GRR! This is the only forum that doesn't have ALT+S = send!

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 19:55

Hello Tim,

I'm not sure I understand what you ultimately want to do. Do you want to make PbO2 powder and do something with that, or are you trying to "anodize" lead or plate another substrate with PbO2?

Regards,
Joe
Lambda
National Hazard

Mood: Euforic Online

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 21:50
MANUFACTURING OF LEAD DIOXIDE COATINGS

Please check this out:

MANUFACTURING OF LEAD DIOXIDE COATINGS:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/echem03/
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 22:30

Not PbO2, just PbO. Besides then having fixed lead, I'll have oxide for ceramics projects (why of course I'm going to be trying lead glazes some day). If I want PbO2 I can always dissolve in vinegar and precipitate with bleach (I believe that's the standard method, no?). So I'm not too concerned about quality (though in the preceeding method, CuO would be a major impurity and would surely color everything I put it in).

Of course I can also cementate, but how much boiling would be needed to complete CuCl2 > PbCl2? But that also wastes even more chemicals, if cheap ones (HCl, then NaCO3 to ppt).

Tim

jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2005 at 01:38

You mean there is some use for lead compounds besides electrodes for chlorate/perchlorate cells?!!! :o

What happens when you decompose (heat) lead acetate? I think I read somewhere that you get PbO... but I could be mistaken.

Regards,
Joe
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 24-7-2005 at 09:41

Most likely (hm... Pb(OOCCH3)2 = Pb + 4CO + 3H2?), but that would be a bad waste of good lead acetate which needs PbO (or CuO) to start with in the first place anyway. :(

Anyone know exactly how they made red lead? Yeah, heating in a furnace. How *exactly*?
I've only ever made the green suboxide, stirring around a Pb melt.

Tim

jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2005 at 17:10

Unfortunately I can't find the information, but supposedly the products are PbO, CO2, and H2O (don't forget, you're heating to >300 degrees C in *air*).

Maybe Pb(CH3COO)2 + 4O2 = PbO + 4CO2 + 3H2O

In any case, I haven't tried it, but supposedly you can make Pb(CH3COO)2 from lead and vinegar; you don't have to use PbO, but I've heard that adding some H2O2 speeds it up.

I don't know how red lead is made, but supposedly to make litharge from lead you have to melt the lead and spray it into the air through a nozzle.

Here's a link to an article about making lead acetate from vinegar:

http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues_2005/2005-06-17/feature4...

[Edited on 25-7-2005 by jpsmith123]
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 22:22

I melted about a pound of lead in a clay pot and just let it get red for about two hours, after it cooled I had about an ounce of blue, brown and red material. however the lead was contaminated with antimony and a small amount of zinc/tin from my good supply of car batterys. I am interested knowing if any specific antimony oxides are blue. also will acetic acid react with pb02? I know it wont with pbso4
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 00:33

Was it powdery, flakes or an adherent layer on the metal? Blue sounds like interference to me (that is, the oxide layer is on the order of a half wavelength of red or so).

I tried burning an antimony alloy as well, it made some yellow oxide, which is perhaps better. The leftover metal is soft and reasonably pure (large crystals), but also hot short (it broke in two on removing it from the mold just after it solidified). I was going to try dissolving this in HCl to see if I can get SbCl3 out...

Tim

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 23-5-2006 at 18:30

Ah, that reminds me, now that I have some NaClO3 on hand I thought I'd take a stab at electrolytic corrosion again.

200g NaClO3 (finally mostly anhydrous as near as I can tell, stuff loves to cake up!) was added to 500g (..500ml..) H2O. Electrolysis was performed with a 99%+ pure lead anode and some copper wire cathode. About 4V was applied, giving an estimated current of perhaps 5A. Initially, much Pb(OH)2 was produced, but over time, spongy lead formed on the cathode and the anode was oxidized to PbO2. Oxygen bubbles were noted from the anode.

(Chemical standard of past tense, but it's still running as I type...)

So, um, I've got some voltage here, the anode seems to be turning to PbO2 and not gaining gross [electrical] resistance, and the chlorate solution is getting oxygen bubbled through it. Surely I am making perchlorate to some extent here!? :o

Tim

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top