Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: snyder column
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-10-2012 at 20:37
snyder column

I'm looking for a fractionating column in 14/20. Also a Liebeg in 14/20. A Snyder would be my first choice but considering the small volumes maybe a vigeraux would be OK

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Doc B
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 00:54

I have long and short Liebig, dufton and vigeraux columns. They're in 14/23, the socket is the same angle tapper so the extra 3mm fits in below the joint. It can be shortened 3mm by grinding if it's a problem.
malford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2013 at 19:16

Has anyone used a snyder column with vacuum?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-10-2013 at 03:29

I've used them plenty of times atmospherically, however never under vacuum. I have heard they cannot be used for vacuum distillations but I have never read that from a reliable source. I have always thought that even if the balls got sucked to the top during the course of pulling the contents under vacuum that they do not seal air tight and that eventually you would reach an equilibrium and it would work fine. Then again I have never attempted such a thing. I was told for years that boiling stones don't work well under vacuum, then within the last year I started using them for that purpose. No, they do not work as well as atmospheric (prone to surging) but they work well enough to keep using them.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
malford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2013 at 05:24

That's exactly what I hypothesize. The pressure should equalize allowing them to function normally. However, before purchasing this one, I'd like to hear at least one account of one being used successfully under vacuum or, as you said, at least one reliable source saying why it cannot be used.

Go To Top