Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonium iron(II) sulphate?
sainandrew92
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 17:27
Ammonium iron(II) sulphate?

Hey all,

Just had a lab session and supposedly I used Ammonium iron(II) sulphate for part of it.

My problem is, the salt was white and upon dissolving it in water the solution remained colourless.
I am pretty sure Ammonium iron(II) sulphate should be green and any solution produced should also be green.

Did I just use Ammonium Iron(III) sulphate instead?

man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on.
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 01:04

Pure ammonium iron(II) sulphate is a very pale green and in solution it is almost colourless. You can test for the presence of iron(II) with any of the standard Iron(II) tests, Potassium hexacyanoferrate(III) should give a blue precipitate. Potassium hexacyanoferrate(II) should give a white precipitate although this is almost always pale blue due to oxidation of the Fe(II) and Thiocyanate should give only a pale red colour. A neat reaction od ferrous iron is with silver nitrate. A crystalline precipitate of silver will slowly form in an equilibrium reaction and no precipitate will form with ferric salts.

[Edited on 3-11-2012 by nezza]
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 4-11-2012 at 18:33

If you have at least 50mL solution but its low concentration, and if you dont have a precision scale, you can try the poor man's FeII meter I've idealized on this topic (link below).

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5650#p...
Good luck.
sainandrew92
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 13:40

Thanks for the help guys.

Annoyingly my inorganic lab sessions ended last week, and we had potassium hexacyanoferrate(II) lying around so I could have tried your method nezza.
Never mind, I'll just trust the technician's word.

[Edited on 6-11-2012 by sainandrew92]

man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on.

Go To Top