Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mettler balance - Error 4 - Way to repair without sending to company?
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 07:21
Mettler balance - Error 4 - Way to repair without sending to company?

As in the title, we have a Mettler Toledo AB304-S analytical balance giving an Error 4 code. This code simply says internal fault when I look it up in the manual. The according solution is to send the balance back to Mettler.

I'm wondering if anybody has more info and if this is repairable, maybe by using a multimeter and changing the piece on the board or something along those way. I'll probably open it up anyway since the warranty is over.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 07:26

why don't you call mettler and ask them if its possible and what it would cost to get it fixed.
it might cost very little! it's worth a try no?

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 15:26

I also recommend calling the manufacturer. I saw a discussion about an error on a different mettler model. 2 of the suggested fixes were replacing the internal battery and the EPROM that records values. I don't know whether that will help. How old is your unit?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 15:35

I have had a scale repaired by this company from BC, they have a service center in Toronto. My scale needed a replacement transducer and was out of warranty. They fixed it and it wasn't that pricey, the worst is the cost to ship your scale so that it doesn't get damaged.

Maybe give them a call?

http://www.newhorizonsscientific.ca/science-equipment-servic...
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 08:09

I did check for a battery and there is none, there are some capacitor though. Someone told me to check if the EEPROM was well soldered and maybe adding some paste if not, i'm gonna have to check that with someone more knowledgeable though.

The unit is probably more around 10 years old (it has already been replaced), it is currently laying around in the lab so I told myself that I'd look into it, another balance is never too much.

I'm going to look into that website, maybe they can guide me, Toronto is pretty far at the moment.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 00:47

Since Mettler wouldn't support any of their older electro-mechnical balances, wouldn't even send me an old repair book, I've boycotted them and bought a Sartorius. That doesn't help I know. I googled the model and found the manual online as a pdf. Have you looked in it? Call them by all means. You paid enough for what's basically a calibrated pressure transducer

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top