Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oxidised butter poisonous?
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 04:17
oxidised butter poisonous?

Is dangerous to eat oxidised butter? If so why is it not good for your health? I really like old oxidised butter thats why I´m asking. ;)

Thank you
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 06:11

Whats oxidized butter? Is it like apples that go brown?

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 14:05

I guess he means old butter that had been standing on air for a while.
In that case, I think the 'oxidation' is mediated bacterially... and bacteria feeding on fats and a bit of protein happily, under the right conditions.
Anyway, the toxicity could be either because of bacterial metabolic toxins, or products of butter breakdown. Indeed, I have heard of old rancid butter being bad for you, too.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 27-6-2004 at 12:23

Is butyric acid that bad for one's health? Except for the nostril torturing smell...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 27-6-2004 at 13:46

Well the MSDS labels it irritant (mainly because of smell & because it's an acid). So I don't think this is the reason for the toxicity.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 09:23

You have to consider all parameters or microbiological catabolic and anabolic effects.....
-Bacteria garbages toxicity - toxins
-Butanoic acid toxicity
-Ingestion of pathogenic bacteria
As you said above.
BUT the second reason is false because,
You of course know that the tributyric ester also leaves glycerol...and as those are part of the normal decomposition products in the body they aren't the reason for the toxicity!

You may also add what is the logical part after simply thinking to what do bacteria and microorganism do to the butter...
-Fungi pathogenic ingestion
-decomposition or synthetic compounds based on glycerol and butanoic acid transformations....( butanal, acrolein, acrylic acid, butanols,...) all those have serious toxicities by ingestion (lesions, diarreha, stomach pain,...).
The combinatory multifactorial effects are thus desastrous for health.
Imagine lesions + bacteria and fungi....opendoor day in your body for the external microbiological flora...interested in septisemy?
:mad::mad::mad:
So better cook wel your rotten acidic and aldehydic butter before eating ;):P;):P

:cool::cool::cool:
[Edited on 1-7-2004 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 18:39

As long as there is no rancid smell there's nothing wrong!
I can see no reason why old butter has to be infected, Philip(e).
I also prefer older or oxidized butter, how strange.

Caveat Orator
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 03:11

Ramiel, do you eat sterilised butter under sterilised conditions?

More than certainly no...right?
Then contact with bacteria and fungi is happening no matter how you look at it...Ever left a petri box full of nutrients open and then left it on its own? Natural occurence of microbiological spots will result.

THEY ARE ARROUND US, AMONG US, INSIDE OF US...ALIENS....David VINCENT has seen the invaders ;)

So sooner or later and the more you wait the more it is the case...you end up with infection. Why milk turn bad once open even if UHT sterilised? Why jam ends up with fungi even if heat sterilised and full of suggar/citric for conservation?
This is a lost war.

Heating butter to regularly sterilise it will result in air peroxydation (it occurs also naturally at reduced speed) result is oxydations of the alkylic chain...you thus get hydroperoxydes, alcools, cetons, aldehydes and this gives the bad taste (usually fresh butter taste like nuts) on a moderate concentration it taste acidic but once it is heavily "polluted" by oxydation it being microbial or aerobic...it can fast turn disgusting and unhealthy-carcinogenic. The worst cancers are stomach and intestinal...want to try?

PLASTIC ANUS is a must.:D

:cool::cool::cool:

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 14:40

Philou, thanks for pointing out the fallacy of the theory of spontaneous generation (I think Pasteur beat you to it though)

I'm fairly sure that the normal manufacturing process for butter includes a fermentation stage so the presence of bacteria can be taken as read. That doesn't mean that oxidiesd butter is particularly harmful. It may be no worse for you than eating flame grilled burgers; I doubt that anyone has done the research.
If you only ate things that you were sure contained nothing toxic (and that's logically impossible) you would probably die of boredom.
I wouldn't worry too much about oxidised butter.
Edit:
I just checked and the butter in my fridge is a month past its "use by" date. I guess I will have to get some more next week.

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by unionised]

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by unionised]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 07:26

I would be much more concerned of past best used date carbonised meat burger full of nitrites and nitrate conservators and cooked with old acidic rancid butter....

And of course meat out of UK prion beef (ESB) and belgian dioxin

Isn't Europe great ....mutagenic labo :D :D :D

yumiiiiiieeee
:P:o:P:o:P:o:P

Mama why do you turn green ;);)

[Edited on 6-7-2004 by PHILOU Zrealone]

[Edited on 6-7-2004 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Go To Top