Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Powder resulting from electroerosion.
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 08:24
Powder resulting from electroerosion.

I tried a new idea to make aluminum powder. I made strong electric sparks (repeatedly short-circuiting a 100mF capacitor at 170V) under mineral oil, using aluminum electrodes. A black cloud quickly developed, but I don’t think that’s aluminum. The powder precipitates after an hour or two.

Any idea about what is this black powder?

I tried both silicone oil and mineral oil with the same results.
Oxydro
Hazard to Others

Mood: distracted

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 11:16

I don't really know, but is it possible it could be a coating of oil on very fine aluminum powder that's making it appear black? If so, maybe washing with alcohol would help get rid of it.

That's an interesting technique, would be useful if it turned out. Keep trying different liquids, would be my advice. Maybe an inert gas? Under vacuum? Just tossing out (probably stupid) ideas.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 12:10

This sounds like EDM (electro-discharge machining?). The black could be aluminum dust with surface texture so rough it looks black, or it could be carbon from the vaporized mineral oil. It could also be a carbide of aluminum. Try letting some precipitate to the bottom,... tic tock, tic tock.... remove it with an eyedropper or syringe, and wash it with acetone or some other polar solvent to remove the oil. The precipitate could then be tested. Acetylene gas with water might indicate a carbide, hydrogen gas with dilute sodium hydroxide would indicate aluminum, an remaining black residue might indicate carbon. If you were doing this with steel or iron you could use a magnet. Sounds interesting.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 13:54

Aluminum carbide actually reacts with water to form methane not acetylene.

I know some of the liquid may have vaporized and formed bubbles but was there any apparent otherwise gas evolution that could lead one to believe that the aluminum could have actually chemically reacted with something?

Determining if your powder is aluminum should be easy, e.g. look at the post above mine, if it is aluminum there should be a vigorus reaction with hydroxdie with just a touch of water added.

[Edited on 6/26/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
t_Pyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 26-6-2004 at 23:57

I'd tried a similar method before too. The major problem is that the Al powder formed was never too pure- it almost always contained oxides and other compounds of Al as impurities... The same method works wonders with copper, though! The impurities could depend on what the medium is. Would you know exactly what the oil was, that you used?

On the other hand, a capacitor bank could be used to create a larger spark, that could be used to vaporise the Al in an inert atmosphere.... The vaopur, if condensed really fast, would give really fine powder.

[Edited on 27-6-2004 by t_Pyro]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2004 at 05:38

Why don't you think the black powder is aluminium?
Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2004 at 03:27

Thank you Mr. Wizard, EDM machining, thats the english name for it!

t_pyro, I don't know its composition, but I think its a short chain paraffin. It's liquid vaseline, I think its the same thing as nujol oil, pharmacy kind. I would like to hear more about your experiments.

Its not aluminum in mineral oil. It does't react with NaOH after washed with acetone. Just a bit of fizzing, maybe some al, but not much.

The electrodes are eroded by the spark, but it seems to create lots of carbon (that's what I think it is) from the mineral oil. I wonder what are the residues in the silicone oil, my oil is thick as honey and it takes forever to precipitate, if it will precipitate at all.

Nothing but bubbles seem to happen with distilled water. DCM is too messy, the spark spills it all over.

Would CO2 be inert enough to try a dry version of this idea?

BTW, a spark that does no more than a loud pop in air, does a big bang under the liquid. I changed the flask from glass to plastic because I was afraid it would break.

[Edited on 28-6-2004 by Tacho]
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2004 at 07:18

If the precipitate reacts with water (bubbles) it may be aluminum carbide making methane (not acetylene as I speculated). The fizzing with sodium hydroxide indicates aluminum. Did you try the water first, and then test the residue with sodium hydroxide, or did you try two separate tests?
I don't think CO2 will be any better than the mineral oil you are using, and will oxidize the aluminum more. Kerosene has been used, but it is combustible. It is much thinner than mineral oil. Try limiting the current in your apparatus; this will cut down the noise and maybe the splashing of the liquid. Do this by introducing more resistance into the circuit. You should limit the current to 1-2 amps. Try putting a 100 watt light bulb in series with the gap. There are links for DIY, search for "mini-EDM" systems, and "Cheap and dirty EDM".
t_Pyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 28-6-2004 at 20:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacho
t_pyro, I don't know its composition, but I think its a short chain paraffin. It's liquid vaseline, I think its the same thing as nujol oil, pharmacy kind. I would like to hear more about your experiments.

Actually, my experiments were more related to electrolysis, rather than "sparking".
I accidentally discovered that performing electrolysis of a dil. nitric acid solution with a graphite anode and copper cathode with a very high current density ( about 8A, with a copper transformer wire as the cathode) eroded the cathode so fast, that it started giving out "clouds" of copper dust in the electrolyte. After filtering, and dissolving it in conc. sulfuric acid, it gave all the tests for copper, so I think it was reasonably pure.

Copper can withstand this treatment because it's even below H on the electropositivity series... Al, on the other hand, is just too high up, resulting in powdered aluminium compunds.

Unfortunately, I have no use for copper powder, so I didn't bother following up the experiment...

[Edited on 29-6-2004 by t_Pyro]

Go To Top