Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heavy water (deuterium oxide) enrichment
tubelectric
Harmless

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 13-11-2012 at 12:31
Heavy water (deuterium oxide) enrichment

Just some speculation... How difficult would it be to separate some heavy water from standard tap water? Or make some water with even a moderate concentration of D2O, let's say 10%.

Since the concentration of deuterium oxide(s) in natural water is relatively low (150ppm?) a lot of water is needed. But if one could process an ordinary household swimming pool of water, he should, in theory, be able to get at least a few grams of enriched heavy water...

Which method would be the easiest way for enrichment? The difference in the boiling points is about 1.5 kelvins which makes distillation pretty difficult. Distilling large amounts of water also requires quite a lot of energy.

Electrolysis is another possible method but what is the key characteristic that allows heavy water separation? I think I once read a paper saying that the threshold voltage (below of which no electrolysis occur) is slightly higher for D2O than H2O but I didn't find the accurate values. According to wikipedia the voltage is about 1.48V for "water" and I guess the difference is just some millivolts.

[Edited on 13.11.2012 by tubelectric]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 13-11-2012 at 14:55

Do not expect pure light water to come over as a single fraction at a distinct temperature. The vapour is just slightly depleted in D, whereas the remaining water will be slightly enriched and the boiling point of the solution will be slightly raised.

Similar for electrolysis.

Yes, it takes large amounts of energy, which is why it is typically done where electricity is cheap. The Norwegians, for instance, profit from clean abundant hydroelectric power.

There are also chemical reactions that have a strong isotope effect, enabling separation. Look up the Girdler sulfide process if you're interested.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2012 at 15:46

Quote: Originally posted by tubelectric  
Which method would be the easiest way for enrichment? The difference in the boiling points is about 1.5 kelvins which makes distillation pretty difficult. Distilling large amounts of water also requires quite a lot of energy.

Chem industrial methods for home applications usually work really bad. Distillation of hundread of liters water is not cheap and how could you determine the DHO content of the water?

We've got several liters of impure D2O, approx 95% and it is not good for anything what we need for (NMR spectroscopy), cause the 5% of normal water kills the spectra. The production of pure D2O from our "impure" is also not easy, so you could think about it that how hard is to make some from tap water.

Here is what we currently use, directly from Sigma:

But, if you want to make some, then electrolyse some water what has some NaOH in it.

A better thing is to buy it from ebay, or get a neutron generator and use it :D

Also, the second most easily obtained deuterated organic solvent, the benzene-d6, it is prepared by adding benzene to D2O (or DHO) with catalytic amount of sulfuric acid. The carbon likes the deuterium more that the oxygene does, and every hydrogen of the benzene will be substitued by deuterium in a few days. I think that this is the most easy method for making some "isotope chemistry" home.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 13-11-2012 at 16:17

Kristof, I don't think there is actually any preference of the benzene for D over H. The H's are simply rapidly exchanging with the D or H from the water around, and if you use an excess of heavy water, the H's from the benzene get diluted into the heavy water, leaving mostly D's on the benzene.

[Edited on 14-11-2012 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-11-2012 at 19:51

D2O's Mp suggests some form of freezing out might work. Of course, as a prerequisite it would be nice to start with a D enriched water. Some waters are naturally higher in the material.

Comets are especially tasty. Some estimate 20x standard concentrations therein.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 05:03

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Kristof, I don't think there is actually any preference of the benzene for D over H.

Heavy isotopes form stronger covalent bonds than their lighter counterparts; for example, a carbon-deuterium bond is stronger than a carbon-hydrogen bond.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top