Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Disappearing Spoon
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2012 at 01:35
The Disappearing Spoon

By Sam Kean

The most efficient explanation I have ever had on the periodic table. After many notes and you tube lectures I can say that this book really should be the way we are introduced to the periodic table. It's a bit like gestalt psychology that I learned; one needs to see the whole before interacting with the parts. This book really encompasses everything and presents the most important factor in any learning process - Context - within which numbers, roots, variables and niches are more efficiently remembered, rather than having to embark upon a mental assault course filled with a strict diet of numerical calories and neatly categorised carbohydrates. What do you think?

[Edited on 18-11-2012 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
CaptainOfSmug
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 22:57

I just picked this book up a few weeks ago and so far I love it. The history behind chemistry is so rich a lot of the anecdotes really help reinforce ideas and concepts as well as see how many compounds/ elements were discovered. I seriously reccomend this to anyone even those who aren't science oriented.
dontasker
Harmless

Mood: Plopping

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 14:17

That is a good one.

I rather enjoyed Napoleon's Buttons by Penny Le Couteur and Jay Burreson as well. I wish it went a bit deeper into some subjects, but It was still very good. It took me a while to finally read it because the title is in reference to the myth of Napoleon's troops being beaten in the cold Russian winter because their coat buttons were made from tin (tin pest). Despite the name of the book, it pointed out that that story is probably not true (I had previously heard that this tin issue was a myth due to the buttons being an alloy).

The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum would also be another good one for chemistry buffs. It focuses more on the use of toxicology in catching killers, but it spends a considerable amount of time talking about poisons chemicals, their properties, uses, and notable related events.

If anyone else has any book suggestions, I could use some soon. I'm running out of bathroom reading material.
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 11:44

Well dontaster, we know which side of the pond you are on with your <i>bathroom</i>

Having read about the tin button thing I once placed a piece of Tin into the freezer for a few weeks but it did not turn to powder.

[Edited on 4-3-2013 by jock88]

Go To Top