Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying chinese glassware
reckless explosive
Harmless

Mood: experimental

sad.gif posted on 19-11-2012 at 13:45
Buying chinese glassware

I would like to know if anyone has had experience with ordering glassware from overseas in particular china and whether or not it causes trouble at customs i already ordered it without thinking and now im a touch scared about some federal agents knocking on my door wandering whether or not im doing something illegal and although im not i dont know what theyd think about my KNO3, sulfur, ammonium nitrate and other explosive related things in my house :( im more or less wondering if im gonna have to make up plenty of lies or not. also im in U.S.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 15:03

Well- don't worry about it, it seems like in the states pyro chemicals aren't that big a deal. Places like United Nuclear etc etc sell chemicals that are banned for sale to individuals here in Canada.

Also, I have ordered glass from China without problems, one package was opened by customs and I still received everything in top shape. The most surprising was when I bought 2x liters of dichloromethane from the UK, they shipped it regular mail, in a plain cardboard box without any sort of bubble wrap or puncture protection(!!!). When the box came it had Border services tape all over it meaning it had been inspected, yet it arrived at my door. This was a year ago and no problems since.

Not the same country mind you, but what's done is done, just be honest if something does happen. Also, I think they might express concern over a 5l three neck flask as opposed to some claisen adapters, thermometers and other "hobby sized" equipment.

[Edited on 19-11-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
reckless explosive
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 15:10

Okay thanks for the quick reply and putting my nerves at rest, also your right i don't do anything hazardous with the explosive related items(maybe a few things here and there) and it is only hobby sized equipment, just a new 24/29 distillation kit with the biggest flask being 1 liter.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 15:21

Just to be on the safe side, follow proper safety and storage procedures. Label everything meticulously, have a fire extinguisher and bucket of sand and all that stuff. IF by some off chance they looked around and saw that it would be much better as opposed to unlabeled jam jars and coke bottles with mystery liquids and powders, that gives it the "cook look" lol :)
reckless explosive
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 03:33

Well most are stored in mason jars but i could them a bit better. Im just not sure how to without a label printer or even a decent printer:( and i don't think handmade labels would be looked upon much differently than just having the chemicals name on it..and i have a bag of sad and no pressured fire extinguishers but i do have two 5 gallon buckets of extinguishing media that i got from my dads work as just in cases.
l0k1
Harmless

Mood: nonlinear

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 04:01

it doesn't make any difference whatsoever how tidy you run your lab. it will be a hazmat exclusion zone even if everything is run according to government standards for laboratories.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 07:00

Quote: Originally posted by l0k1  
it doesn't make any difference whatsoever how tidy you run your lab. it will be a hazmat exclusion zone even if everything is run according to government standards for laboratories.

It is something that can be taken into consideration. Just because they see an amateur lab doesn't mean they will confiscate everything and all that. Not here anyways- the USA is different and the levels of paranoia tend to be higher when it comes to home labs, from what I have gathered from this forum. Regardless, having a tidy and properly arranged workspace is always in your best interest, if not for legal reasons then for your own safety :)
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 07:41

Chinese glassware off Ebay, it's hit or miss. And if it gets hit too hard, glass breaks. It's unfortunate, as the remaining unbroken stuff seemed to be of decent quality.
reckless explosive
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 16:47

Well the package arrived in new york today and is now on its way to me and i haven't got any calls and no men in yellow hazmat suits are here yet so i might be good. At least lets hope :(
reckless explosive
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-11-2012 at 06:31

Yep the glassware is gonna be here today, but it needs to be signed for and im only 16 so im hoping its just the normal mail man and they let my father sign for it.yep definitely only ever buying chinese glassware when its th last or only option.

Go To Top