Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: An index of biologically active fungi extracts and chemicals.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 25-11-2012 at 09:57
An index of biologically active fungi extracts and chemicals.

I wrote this index almost a year ago, today, and posted it in the biochemistry sub-forum. I didn't realize that this may be a better place to post it. I would like to say that I am impressed by the quality of posts on this sub-forum and I hope that my contribution will be a useful addition.

I understand that this is a rather different kind of write-up (compared to other pre-publications), but I was hoping that it would be useful for at least a few people interested in medical research. My intention was to write a comprehensive summary of biologically valuable fungi species. I organized them as best I could, and in the most logical and useful manner possible so that it could be easy to use.

Let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve this list, if there are species you would like to add, or remove, if there are any glaring mistakes, repeats, redundancies &cetera...

I have a Plantae version in the works, but it's proving itself a mighty endeavour. I started 6 months ago, sifted through ~30 families, gathered about 800 species. I'm foreseeing an Excel spreadsheet as a classification method.

Attachment: Fungi index.docx (134kB)
This file has been downloaded 2397 times

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 25-11-2012 at 14:52

nice work, looks tedious. oddly I am just about to go mushroom hunting now.. for food though not drugs or health benefits. I can never seem to get enough picked during the wet season to go with out want during dry season sadly. giving it a valiant effort this year :) did you study any as to how long medicinal tinctures etc. would shelf? that is an awful broad question I realize, but a generalized answer would be more than adequate. I come across a lot of medicinal mushrooms but never gave much thought to extraction and storing b/c I rarely have need of such. also the woody shelf mushies and lill frilly branch loving versions come in quite a variety, differentiated by only slight color and textures. if you don't know any relative storage lifes, it's all good I have many books to read from, just they are at home and I wont be for another month. thanks for sharing
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-11-2012 at 15:30

I'm not sure about the shelf lives of these extracts, but I do know that it's advisable to store them in a freezer. Generally, the ethanol, methanol, or any other organic solvents have denaturing properties and can deactivate the enzymes responsible for degrading the active components of the extract. This is why absolute ethanol preserves biological specimens quite well--although it has its limits. On that same note, ethanol can also denature proteins that may be of pharmaceutical value.

To the best of my knowledge, biological extracts can be stored indefinitely if properlydried and frozen. You could also try gently drying your specimens and then refrigerating or freezing them. Freeze drying is also another potential alternative if you're interested in the process.

I would advise against drying and storing at room temperature. I though this was a viable alternative, until my sample of Trametes versicolor started to show signs of decay, even though I stored it away from moisture.

There are also some methods for keeping samples of fungi tissues alive for propagation and culture, but these methods are quite complex and sensitive to the way you prepare the sample.

Biology can be a delicate science, there are so many variables to keep track of, and many things that can go wrong. Keeping a living or once living creature on a shelf is definitely more difficult than keeping hydrogen peroxide away from sunlight and moisture. Some may argue otherwise, but that has generally been my experience.

zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 14:24

The method I use for storage: Mushrooms are dried in a mason jar filled with calcium chloride, I then refrigerate them. Never had an issue with mold or decay. Live fungus I've kept for up to a month in refrigeration without decay.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 19:33

zoombafu- ya the ones I eat (food :) ) are usually chipped, dried and jarred. or parboiled and frozen in butter/oil. that way you just add more flavors to it or add it to foods. but I didn't really wanna keep jar after jar of medicinal mushroom around.

that's why I was wondering about an extract or tincture. as noted above, it seems as though a tincture in freezer may be the best route. and dry freezing i could do. thanks white yeti, I also have a lot of trametes versicolor and more around. man I just jumped over a whole tree that was downed and COVERED in them. big guy, looked like a frilly mushroom in and of it self.

I have also managed to start a few colonies of primary decomposers, not hard to keep humidity up and admix some wood chips with mycelium your after. kept em alive long enough to watch the spring tails come thru and DEVOUR everything. but guess I did a decent job... they were alive in my care 6month before that happened. so it may have been a symptom of abuse. they got dry once or twice but handled it well. i though.

it would be nice to learn some more about them first. sound like I can use your chart white yeti :) thanks for the reference material and answer.

I will try to post anything useful or interesting if it happens, to contribute

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 22:00

Are these extracts ones you made? Are there literature sources for some of these or are they all creditable to you? I would encourage you to provide some background information and if appropriate a bibliography. It would benefit from some footnotes as well. Nice start! Keep going, please.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 09:12

There are sources associated with these, but I thought they would end up cluttering the list if I included them; I wanted to keep it brief and easy to use. I didn't see the need to include them at the time, because I focused mainly on making a comprehensive index. The sources can easily be found via a cursory search online or at a local library. I understand that it's unconventional, I've never seen a scientific paper without citations, but this is more of an index. If I included sources, this list would be unbelievably tedious to read through.

zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 10:37

you could number the substances, and put references on a separate page. That would keep it easy to read, and include the references for further research.

Go To Top