Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: dissolved gold
superten67
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 07:01
dissolved gold

hi again guys and before anyone points out to me about my question maybe being in the wrong place lol can anyone tell me whats happened to the gold refining forum?
thats assuming any of you use it?
been trying to log in for about a week and its not letting me keeps saying url not found?
hey ho....anyway in he meantime could any of you guys help me out with a problem?
my acid peroxide got a little bit too reactive and dissolved some of my gold into black powder rather than leaving foils.
i drained all the black out and rinsed the remaining boards off then added a touch of peroxide and my mix is as good as new.
however i know have a pile of black powder and gold flakes as i dipped the boards back in after making the mixture a bit less hot.
so the remaining boards cleaned off this time and i have foils.
question being should the sludge be dried out to a powder before i wash it in hcl?

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by superten67]

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by superten67]
superten67
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 15:50

anyone????????????
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by superten67  
anyone????????????

Impatient much???????????????????????? (One question mark usually suffices by the way)

Perhaps your answer didn't come as quickly as you would like because you are unclear on what the hell your process is. Describe in greater detail what you are doing, how you are doing it with the quantities of chemicals and whatnot.

Your acid peroxide got a bit too reactive and made black powder instead of "foils"? Could this maybe be colloidal gold?

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 13:19

Hmmm. Jewelers used to use a cyanide/peroxide system to blacken gold. Did kill a few of 'em.

I have also talked to a miner-type that reported an explosion using such a system. Didn't kill him. Apparently, the peroxide neutralized the cyanide, before pressure ruptured his reaction vessel.

What system are you talking about.
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 15:05

Not sure it will be much help to you but I regularly deposit gold films by evaporation. Typically 20nm thick. When I wipe down the vacuum jar after with ipa to remove the excess coating the removed film forms a black powder on the tissue. So as Mailinmypocket says it's most likely colloidal gold.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 16:24

superten67 wrote about boards so the black stuff was probably messy resin stuff from the boards that turned black.he most likely found his answer at the gold refining forum by now and is thinking colloidial dead jewelers in a vacuum what?
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 16:43

True, but I just wanted to point out that gold can take on many colours from black to green yellow depending on what's done to it and in what form it's in. Damn greedy gold refiners.... No interest! :D

Go To Top