Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any erythritol (alchol) synthesis?
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 06:54
Any erythritol (alchol) synthesis?

Does anyone know one or more ways to synthetize erythritol?

Any idea is welcomed, thanks to all for the help.:)
Mongo Blongo
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 09:53

I remember reading that it made by some sort of brewing process with a special bacteria. I don't know of any synthectic route though sorry.
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 18:04

According to the first page of results from google, you want to use a special fungus. You can, of course, buy it in any quantity from ounces up to tons. It's not in the supermarket yet, but if you're desperate you could extract it from low carb candy.

As for chemical routes, the hard part is getting the stereochemistry right. An interesting approach would be to oxidize furan to the diol, and then somehow undo the ether bond of the ring.
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 03:03

IIRC, Erythritol hasn't been granted an EU license yet so you'll have to order it in from the US or somewhere...
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 07:56

Interesting, usually stuff seems to be approved in the EU before it does over here in the US.

Alas, I was confused over the structure of furan, I wanted the singly unsaturated stuff. I still like the basic idea of making it from the appropriate trans alkene, but I don't know of a way to make the precursor other than from elimination from a ring.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

smile.gif posted on 12-7-2004 at 12:03
where I can buy erythritol?

Ok, supposed that erythritol is accepted as sugar substitute in EU (I hope this...), in what "store" I can buy it?
And where I can buy this, would be other sugar substitutes like xylitol, sorbitol etc. useable instead of erythritol for nitration?

Thax for the help.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 13:59

Health food stores often carry erythritol. I believe all the other sugars you have listed can be nitrated.

Poor me, erythritol is not yet legal in canada:(
Nevermore
Hazard to Others

Mood: shopping businessman

[*] posted on 22-7-2004 at 14:45

Quote:
Originally posted by kazaa81
Ok, supposed that erythritol is accepted as sugar substitute in EU (I hope this...), in what "store" I can buy it?
And where I can buy this, would be other sugar substitutes like xylitol, sorbitol etc. useable instead of erythritol for nitration?

Thax for the help.

i made extensive searches for that, but looks like is not available yet, at least not in italy, xylitol and sorbitol are legal but eri is not yet.
U can try to get it at chem shoppe just ask them to buy you the FOOD grade one and not the LAB grade one (unless you are VERY rich), of course, if it is available in ur country..

Nevermore!
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 17-3-2007 at 17:23

Hi everyone, and sorry by ressuciting this old thread..
in another related thread i wasn't able to discover what really called to produce these bacterias at home
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2285&a...

i tried search (here and out) several times about this but never find if there are a pratical method (even if expensive) for producing this Erythritol at home.. i think if i find a method for producing these bacterias (Trichosporon pullulans
Moniliella pollinis or Trichosporonoides megachilensis, and some others) i will be able to producing this from special fermentation of sucrose..(and even some others polyols such as mannitol, sorbitol,etc)...
so , are there a method for produce or collect this from earth by simple ways???
or anothers ideas for producing these sugars without fermentation method (???)

I just searching this because here , these sugars are very, VERY hard to find.. even in the several food stores which i visited, nobody know Erythritol and Mannitol...(all Erythritol, Mannitol and Sorbitol - I NEVER SEE!)
this is very disappointing and irritating.. :mad:

thanks for any idea.

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 17-3-2007 at 19:28

If you really want to synthesize erythritol, as opposed to buying it or getting involved in biosynthesis, you can prepare it from D-glucose in 4 steps. See Org.Syn. Vol 78 p 123, you need to read down in the discussion section. You will find that it says "The eythritol 4 can be prepared from 2 by reduction with NaBH4"

Step 1 is formation of formaldehyde acetal of D-glucose. As you will see this is a PG.

Step 2 is oxidation with sodium metaperiodate.

Step 3 is reduction with NaBH4 to the protected erythritol

Step 4 is removal of the PG (hydrolysis of the acetal).

D-glucose is ordinary grape sugar (blood sugar). I used to buy 50 lb sacks of this, under the name Dextrose. Cheap.

The acetal is formed with paraformaldehyde.

This is really quite simple and good yield. If you want erythritol and can't buy it this is a good route,

[Edited on 18-3-2007 by Sauron]

erythritol.jpg - 13kB
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 17-3-2007 at 23:18

Thanks Sauron!

i just know this dextrose and the others substances i will try to ask my chem teacher(i'm a poor "chem-hobbist") ... this really seems very good if one has these substances.

about the organic synthesis collective, i don't be able to see in the Org. Synth. website(i searched "erythritol" there, but only 13 results was founded ) .. but tomorrow i will search much more out(now is 4:20 AM here.. i should sleep)..

again, thanks and thanks Sauron.

[Editado em 18-3-2007 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 18-3-2007 at 00:24

I will post the Org.Syn. prep. Anyway I have found a better one for you.

PREPARATION OF meso-ERYTHRITOL AND D-ERYTHRONIC LACTONE FROM PERIODATE-OXIDIZED STARCH
ALLENE JEANES and C. S. HUDSON
pp 1565 - 1568; DOI: 10.1021/jo01128a015

They treat cornstarch with sodium metaperiodate (same reagent as in the Org.Syn. prep, and cornstarch is essentially a polymeric form of glucose, a i,4-linked glucosan) and obtain erythritol in good yield.

I will go request this article now. OK, got it, and bad news: they reduce the periodate-oxidized starch over Raney nickel (carcinogen) at 2500 psi H2 in a high pressure autoclave (expensive) for 5 hours. 59% yield, but, I doubt you will want to do this. Therefore, the Org.Syn. prep is better.

There is also a 1940s German patent o IGFarben for erythritol from 2-butene-1,4-diol, the diol sounds to me like a reduction product of maleic or fumaric acids.

[Edited on 19-3-2007 by Sauron]

Attachment: V78P0123[1].pdf (204kB)
This file has been downloaded 998 times

ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 08:40

I am sorry to get this old topic active.
I couldn't find erythritol nearby so i I would like to synthesis it.
anybody did any trials in this area and would like to share his experience ?
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 17-8-2015 at 00:40
Erythitol Synthesis using Fermintation process

Hi All ,

I found many articles to synthesis Erythitol using fermentation, I add steps here for reference :

Quote:

Pour one bottle of corn syrup into the 2-liter bottle. Using only one bottle of corn syrup preserves as much empty space as possible in the 2-liter bottle. The process of fermentation produces gas. The empty space in the bottle and the stretching properties of plastic will allow gas to be produced with reduced risk of bursting the container. You will have to open the cap to release the gas from time to time.

Fill the empty corn syrup container with water and add it to the 2-liter bottle. Mix the water and syrup together to reduce the viscosity. This will allow the fermentation to occur more rapidly than it would have if left viscous.

Add 1 tsp. moniliella pollinis yeast to the 2-liter bottle and mix together. The fermentation process will start instantly. The main ingredient in corn syrup is glucose. Glucose is produced by extracting starch from corn and adding enzymes to break down the chemical bonds to reorganize them into another form. The yeast consumes the glucose and produces erythritol gas as a byproduct. The gas will be produced rapidly early on in the process.You will have to babysit the 2-liter bottle for a while until you notice the rate of gas production is reduced. Allow the mixture to ferment for two weeks.

Purify the contents of the 2-liter bottle by pouring it into a pot and heating it up to kill the yeast. Allow the water to boil away while leaving behind the crystallized form of erythritol. The crystals are still impure and unsuited for consumption.

Wash the crystallized erythritol with cold water. Erythritol is hard to dissolve in cold water, allowing you to clean it with very minimum loss. This process helps remove yeast and impurities.

Dissolve the crystallized erythritol with hot water and add an ion exchange resin (water softener). Let the dissolved erythritol and the resin sit for one day. The resin is designed to remove impurities by absorbing them into the pores of the resin beads.

Remove the resin and boil away the water to crystallize the erythritol. Rinse the crystals in cold water to remove more impurities from the crystals.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8651178_make-erythritol.html

My question here how to find : moniliella pollinis yeast ?!
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 20:54

Life is good. I walked into local supermarket, 3 new Erythritol products, all very pure. If you need to find a store that sells the stuff, go on google maps and look for supermarkets near old folks homes. Same advice for finding Potassium Chloride.

Go To Top