Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mercury Acetate Synthesis
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 15:04

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  
By the way, mercury acetate is just as organic as phenylmercury acetate.

Bullshit.

Mercuric acetate is a salt. Organomercurials such as phenylmercuric acetate have C-Hg bonds. I wish you luck in providing references that puts soluble inorganic mercury salts such as mercuric acetate in the same league as organomercurials.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Bullshit.

Mercuric acetate is a salt. Organomercurials such as phenylmercuric acetate have C-Hg bonds. I wish you luck in providing references that puts soluble inorganic mercury salts such as mercuric acetate in the same league as organomercurials.

Wouldn't this just be an argument on pedantries?

Hg(AcO)2. It is my guess that they would produce O-Hg bonds where as what you define as organohydroargentous would need an Hg-C bond.
Isn't it organic by virtue of the AcO?
Take Morphine for example... It is absolutely certain that freebase morphine is an organic molecule. Is morphine sulphate still organic? Is the sulphate organic?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 15:53

Mercury acetate is organic, but it's not an organomercury compound. There's a big difference between those two designations. Morphine sulfate is most certainly organic.
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 15:56

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Mercury acetate is organic, but it's not an organomercury compound. There's a big difference between those two designations. Morphine sulfate is most certainly organic.

I felt like we all knew that but were just bickering for the sake of bickering... hehehe
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 17:44

Quote: Originally posted by dermolotov  
Wouldn't this just be an argument on pedantries?

No. And I'm not the one who started arguing. You cannot redefine organometallic. You will not find mercuric acetate, benzoate, whatever, listed in toxicology references or journals as "organic" mercury, just as you will not find phenylmercuric chloride listed as inorganic. You will find mercuric acetate listed under "inorganic" mercury.

Comparing mercuric acetate to morphine sulfate is...well I'm not going to argue on the internet with you. Mercuric acetate is not, never has been, and never will be organic.

BTW some years ago I made probably an ounce of the acetate with Brauer's method, taking no precautions of any kind, other than not eating it. And, my comment on toxicology references earlier would have been better phrased as a challenge to provide references showing that the acetate is more dangerous than the chloride, nitrate, and such.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 18:05

Definition says that organomercury compound contains C-Hg bond. End of story.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 21:41

Bullshit.

Mercuric acetate is a salt. Organomercurials such as phenylmercuric acetate have C-Hg bonds.

You are right, mercury acetate is indeed a salt and doesn't have C-Hg bonds.

Back in those days when I was looking at various organic compounds containing mercury, mercury acetate popped up on my radar as being extremely toxic. Good for you for synthesizing an ounce of the stuff and keeping yourself safe. I am sure you used good lab practices and safety equipment.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 01:33

Mercury acetate is probably as extremly toxic as other soluble mercury salts.
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 01:53

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  
I think you're confusing inorganic mercuric acetate with organic phenylmercuric acetate, which was actually widely used up to fairly recently, and so is never mentioned in the way the hazards and regulatory situation of lead paint are, like the mercury in fluorescent bulbs, savior of the world.

I am aware of phenylmercury acetate. I was not confusing it with mercury acetate. I did a fairly deep study into the toxicity of dimethylmercury, and mercury acetate was cropping up in my document review, in scary fashion.

I used to work in an analytical laboratory where people routinely handled mercury acetate as part of some test. It was weighed out on a shared balance, without gloves, on a daily basis. If dimethyl mercury were handled in such a manner, everyone who worked in the laboratory would be dead. Your estimation of the toxicity of mercury acetate as being comparable to dimethyl mercury is well off.

Please provide the source for your claims. Either your source is in error, or your interpretation of it is in error.

[Edited on 14-12-2014 by forgottenpassword]
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 15:11

No. And I'm not the one who started arguing. You cannot redefine organometallic. You will not find mercuric acetate, benzoate, whatever, listed in toxicology references or journals as "organic" mercury, just as you will not find phenylmercuric chloride listed as inorganic. You will find mercuric acetate listed under "inorganic" mercury.

Little argumentation, mate :). Just hoping for (as always) informative debate. Originally, I was just backing up Dr.M's view that it is considered somewhat organic.

Seeing the quotes below, it's hard to say that it is, now... I seemed to have defended it's organic nature by virtue of its toxicity. Noting its mild (in comparison to C-Hg bonded molecules) toxicity, it's nice to see that I was originally wrong.

I enjoy and appreciate the following two pieces of evidence, though:
BTW some years ago I made probably an ounce of the acetate with Brauer's method, taking no precautions of any kind, other than not eating it. And, my comment on toxicology references earlier would have been better phrased as a challenge to provide references showing that the acetate is more dangerous than the chloride, nitrate, and such.

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  

I used to work in an analytical laboratory where people routinely handled mercury acetate as part of some test. It was weighed out on a shared balance, without gloves, on a daily basis. If dimethyl mercury were handled in such a manner, everyone who worked in the laboratory would be dead. Your estimation of the toxicity of mercury acetate as being comparable to dimethyl mercury is well off.

[Edited on 14-12-2014 by dermolotov]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top