Printable Version  
Author: Subject: gas tower
shadow
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2012 at 06:15
gas tower

In this procedure below for the production of furan:

In a 200-cc. round-bottomed flask is placed 80 g. (0.68 mole) of crude 2-furancarboxylic acid (p. 276) (usually about 95 per cent pure). To the neck of the flask is fitted an upright tube 2.5 cm. in diameter and 15 cm. long, with a side arm of the same diameter leading out about 2 cm. from the top of the tube. This side arm is extended into the bottom of an efficient (25-cm.) soda-lime tower (Note 1) immersed in a water bath held at 40° to prevent condensation of the furan. From the top of the soda-lime tower an outlet tube (0.5 cm. in diameter) is extended to the top of an upright water condenser, to the lower end of which is attached a receiving flask surrounded by ice and salt (Note 2).

The glassware described indicates a horizontal tube approx. 1" diameter extending into the bottom of a tower.
I don't have a tower, but the ones I see online have barbed gas fittings for tubing. They also have a narrow section at the lower area of the tower.
1.) Is the narrow section necessary?
2.) Can I just make up tower with some straight tubing for the horizontal part, and tee it into say an allihn condenser or just strait tubing for the vertical part?
3.) Would I just purchase the tower, and just choke down the horizontal part?

This procedure was written over 70 years ago. Were they doing things differently then?

Thanks ahead,

shadeux

Go To Top