Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tetranitroglycoluril or Sorguyl
shadow31
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2012 at 07:58
Tetranitroglycoluril or Sorguyl

Can you tell me the main problems in making it ?
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 24-12-2012 at 08:10

Quote: Originally posted by shadow31  

You need to make dinitrourea and anhydrous pure glyoxal. Dinitrourea hydrolyzes very fast.

Rest In Pieces!
shadow31
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-12-2012 at 09:05

And what about HNIW - CL-20 can it be made in a home laboratory, i suppose no since it is the 3rd strongest chemical explosive, but what is the main problem ?

caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2012 at 12:35

Read the tread on HNIW at this forum. One wise boy wrote at russian forum, that he made this compound at his own kitchen, but he surely was wrong. The main problem is to synthesize its carcass.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Azane
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
Quote: Originally posted by shadow31  

You need to make dinitrourea and anhydrous pure glyoxal. Dinitrourea hydrolyzes very fast.

Hmmm....there's probably a much better way to prepare TNGU.
Dinitrourea isn't at all necessary. Although regular urea lacks the two nitro groups of DNU, it can be used instead of DNU, with glyoxal, to form regular glycoluril, which can probably be directly nitrated into TNGU with nitric acid. (Some suppliers sell glycoluril, so buying it would eliminate the need to synthesize it).

The aforementioned nitration of GU is more or less a dehydration synthesis between the "HO-" groups of HNO3 and the N-H groups of glycoluril, and could proceed as follows:

C4H6N4O2+4HONO2-->C4H2N8O10+4H2O

If you can't obtain glycoluril from a supplier, it can be prepared through either of two methods:

1) The dehydration synthesis between glyoxal and urea.

2CO(NH2)2+(CHO)2-->C4H6N4O2+2H2O

2) The reduction of allantoin.*

C4H6N4O3+H2-->C4H6N4O2+H2O

At least the first of these two reactions is infinitely more tolerant of water than the one described by Adas, and is the one which I have most often seen mentioned, but I am unsure of as to how the reduction of allantoin would be facilitated.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 01:33

Azane, there could be a problem with solubility of glycouril in nitrating solution. It might not be soluble at all, and that would be a problem. Or you would end up with a partially nitrated product.

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by Adas]

Rest In Pieces!
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2013 at 12:21

The "standard" method of producing TeNGU is the method Azane proposes, except that the nitrating agent (for dinitro- to tetranitroglycoluril) is N2O5 in HNO3. This is made by dissolving P2O5 in absolute nitric acid.

In fact, TeNGU and HNIW have some interesting similarities, and it seems plausible that HNIW could be made by condensing 1,1,2,2-tetranitraminoethane (which is produced by hydrolysis of TeNGU) with 1,4-diformyl-2,3,5,6-tetrahydroxypiperazine and then substituting the formyl groups with nitro-groups. I know of some work to attempt this (and have done some myself), but AFAIK noone has yet been succesful.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 17-7-2013 at 13:40

Microtek: I failed at that reaction as well, the in-situ hydrolysis of TeNGU with 1,4-diformyl-2,3,5,6-tetrahydroxypiperazine. I saw a potential small mass peak of the good stuff(barely above standard matrix intensity), but if it was there it was a pretty insignificant product compared to everything else.
I should try again some day, only did a couple experiments.

Go To Top