Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Separation of Isopropanol and Ethyl Acetate
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

thumbdown.gif posted on 1-1-2013 at 09:17
Separation of Isopropanol and Ethyl Acetate

I have a mixture of ethyl acetate, water and isopropanol that needs separating, but I cannot ascertain how to achieve this.

I have removed the water component by drying the mixture over anhydrous calcium chloride with magnetic stirring, which eliminated the water content (tested with anhydrous copper sulfate and calcium carbide), leaving the iPrOH and EtOAc behind. However, to my knowledge, these form an azeotrope at 75.3*C (see Wiki article on azeotrope data) and atmospheric normal and fractional distillations verified this.

This patent suggests that extractive distillation can be used to separate isopropyl acetate and isopropanol, and I assume a similar technique can be employed here. However, I do not possess the extractive solvents they describe (" a mixture of a polyol and one or higher boiling oxygenated, nitrogenous and/or sulfur containing organic compounds; typical examples of effective agents are 1,3-butanediol and dimethylsulfoxide; 1,2,6-hexanetriol, dimethylsulfoxide and dimethylformamide.")

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

If it is of any concern, the EtOAc will be employed in a Claisen condensation using sodium metal (where the presence of iPrOH would cause the formation of sodium isopropoxide as opposed to the target product). An initial thought I had was to use sacrificial sodium to scavenge the iPrOH, but I have a mere 10g of the Na and do not wish to waste it. I also thought of adding a mild oxidizing agent (acidified dichromate?) to oxidize the iPrOH into acetone, leaving the ester untouched (not easily oxidized)...does acetone form an azeotrope with EtOAc?

[Edited on 1-1-2013 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Siggebo
Harmless

Mood: Under reflux

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 10:09

The wikipedia data sheet for Azeotrope does not list an acetone/ethyl acetate azeotrope.

http://www.ddbst.com/en/EED/AZD/AZD%20Acetone;Ethyl%20acetat... also indicates there is no azeotrope between the two.

[Edited on 2013-1-1 by Siggebo]
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 10:32

That's what I assumed, however these lists aren't always complete.

I have to thank 12AXT for his suggestion of washing with water, which I guess would work (although re-drying afterwards may be necessary).

I'm surprised that I thought of the fancy oxidation idea without thinking of the basics first:P

Any further thoughts?

[Edited on 1-1-2013 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 12:14

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
If it is of any concern, the EtOAc will be employed in a Claisen condensation using sodium metal (where the presence of iPrOH would cause the formation of sodium isopropoxide as opposed to the target product).

Why not use the mixture for the Claisen? NaOiPr is as good base as NaOEt, the only side reaction what could happen is that you will probably get isopropyl-acetoacetate as a product, what could be easily converted back to the ethyl ester if preferred with a simple H+ esterification in ethanol.

If this is not a good option, I would add a lot water, separate the EtAc and dry it... Isopropanol could go to the waste.

Also is there a measured content what percentage of EtAc and iPrOH does the mixture contain?

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Prometheus23
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 12:18

Could you not add the mixture to a large volume of water and separate the EtOAc? Isopropanol will partition between the water and EtOAc layers but it should mostly go into the aqueous phase. Do this a couple times and then dry the EtOAc.

Also I was under the impression that you could not dry alcohols with calcium chloride.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 12:20

Unfortunately not, although data for the azeotrope composition is available.

I didn't think of using the NaOiPr as an alternative base, actually, and some EtOH is usually added anyway to form NaOEt. I guess, in this instance, it could be omitted due to the presence of the NaOiPr.

I'll try the first idea, and report back...BTW, what do you mean by 'esterification'? Taking the crude acetoacetate product, and refluxing with ethanol over H2SO4, for example?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 12:28

Quote: Originally posted by Prometheus23  

Also I was under the impression that you could not dry alcohols with calcium chloride.

I believe that only applies for primary alcohols, as I had to issues when drying this mixture over CaCl2...

Go To Top