Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Williamson Ether Synthesis of Acetic Anhydride
redfish
Harmless

Mood: Anhydrous

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 13:59
Williamson Ether Synthesis of Acetic Anhydride

So I was thinking about alternative syntheses of acetic anhydride, and I stumbled upon the williamson ether synthesis method. Do you think this could work to synthesize acetic anhydride? In case you're not familiar with the method, it combines an alkyl halide and an alkoxide to form an ether. Since acetate is an alkoxide, theoretically all you'd have to do is mix acetyl chloride or similar with acetic acid, and you'd get the mineral acid of the halide and acetic anhydride, right?
barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 14:17

Acetic acid is not an alcohol, acetate is not an alkoxide, and acetyl chloride is not an alkyl halide. Acetic acid is a carboxylic acid! The Williamson ether synthesis has nothing to do with the synthesis of acetic anhydride.

However, acetic anhydride <i>can</i> be prepared by the combination of sodium acetate and acetyl chloride. There is a thread on this forum concerning that procedure.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 15:30

I think people are having a harder time getting acetyl chloride or its precursors than acetic anhydride. I have never seen anyone on SM say that they have prepared or used acetyl chloride in an amateur setting.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 16:48

I have used AcCl to prepare Ac2O in an amateur setting, from NaOAc which works great. More info is also at versuchschemie and LambdaSyn I believe, but now you have heard it!
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 21:52

Quote: Originally posted by Magic Muzzlet  
I have used AcCl to prepare Ac2O in an amateur setting, from NaOAc which works great. More info is also at versuchschemie and LambdaSyn I believe, but now you have heard it!

How did you prepare or acquire the acetyl chloride? That's the interesting part.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 23:28

I don't know why everyone gets the impression AA and acetyl chloride are so difficult to come by. Many suppliers who ship to individuals often carry acetic anhydride or acetyl chloride at some point. I purchased a liter of acetyl chloride a while back for about $100 dollars, and while I have not seen any for sale recently acetic anhydride is always popping up.

Anyway yes AA can be made from anhydrous sodium acetate and an acetyl halide, but I would recommend a mechanical stirrer and watch out for charring.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 07:10

Lambda-Eyde - The AcCl was just commercial material purchased from a chemical distributor. It would be totally impractical for me to make it myself. I think people's paranoia about Ac2O being on a list is the only thing making it hard to get, not its actual availability.. Nowadays you can buy it in the US without signing anything, so what is the problem.

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
3-1-2013 at 10:27

Go To Top