Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrolysis of CuSO4
K12Chemistry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 10:06
Electrolysis of CuSO4

I recently followed a vid on electrolysing copper sulfate with a copper and carbon electrode. I waited until all the copper precipitaed out. I was trying to make copper and sulfuric acid so I filtered out the contaminants and saved the sulfuric acid into the vial. I placed a small amount into a few dimples on a dimple tray and then to one added sugar, it didn't turn into carbon. I assumed the concentration was very weak as I didnt concentrate it. In the other dimple I added sodium hydroxide, it didn't release gas but the beads of sodium hydroxide dissolved and it went brown. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if what I have is sulfuric acid or not.

Thanks,
K12Chemistry

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
3-1-2013 at 10:26
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 11:34

Yes, you have sulfuric acid, but it is very dilute. You can boil it down to concentrate it if necessary, but it's certainly not something for the beginner to do and something even I'm reluctant to do now.

How concentrated was your starting copper sulfate solution, and did you electrolyse until it went completely colourless?
Which of the electrodes you mentioned was the anode, and which was the cathode?

By the way, the reaction with sodium hydroxide wouldn't produce any gases; the only products would be sodium sulfate and water.

Edited to fix spelling.

[Edited on 3-1-2013 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
K12Chemistry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 12:05

hey im back
what exactly isn't something for the beginner to do. Is it boiling down the acid or even electrolysing cuso4.
my starting copper sulfate solution was almost saturated. I had a little bit of copper sulfate which I put into a conical flask. I added a little bit of water bit by bit until all the copper sulfate was dissolved. I used a copper cathode and a carbon anode I got from a carbon zinc battery. Copper was collecting at the copper electrode. Yes I did electrolyse it until it was clear. Yeah i realise now that sodium hydroxide doesn't do anything, I failed with my mental equation (2NaOH+H2SO4->Na2SO4+2H2O) WTF lol.

Anyway thanks foor the reply

[Edited on 4-1-2013 by K12Chemistry]

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 12:24

Boiling down H2SO4 to concentrate it. it takes temperatures of over 300*C and makes lots of SO3 vapours (nasty as hell)
on another note, how about keeping the solution and keep adding CuSO4 and electrolyse it. you should get a higher concentration that way.

2NaOH+H2SO4->Na2SO4+2H2O

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 12:28

K12, in your equation, you have not balanced, assumed that hydrogen is a product and used an incorrect formula for sodium sulfate. As sodium sulfate is an ionic compound consisting of sodium ions - which have a +1 charge - and sulfate ions - which have a 2- charge, two Na+s are required to balance it out. Thus, the formula is Na2SO4

1. The equation given by Pyro is the correct one, showing that two molecules of sodium hydroxide would react with one molecule of sulfuric acid, giving one molecule of sodium sulfate and one molecule of water.

2. Hydrogen does not usually occur as a single atom, i.e. 'H' - it is most often encountered, and certainly so in this case, as a diatomic molecule - 'H2'.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
K12Chemistry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 13:29

The equation was supposed to be wrong. Anyway I ran out of copper sulfqte so I have ordered some. I'm going to keep the leftover and add copper sulfqte as suggested. You said that to boil down sulfuric acid takes temperature higher than 300 Celsius but don't you just have to heat it to 100. So that the water evaporates also sulfuric acid decomposes at 300 Celsius

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 13:48

No, it doesn't work like that. Boiling at 100oC will only work up to 70% concentration, after which one will need to heat to 300oC to attain 95%+ concentration.

See 3:18;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okvvD3-DF9U

However, if you need to ask questions like "do I have sulfuric acid" and cannot balance simple equations or correctly determine reaction products, you shouldn't be handling concentrated sulfuric acid, and certainly not boiling it. Inexperience is often a large contributor to severe accidents in laboratories, and the last thing we need is an individual receiving third-degree thermal and chemical burns across his face, further damaging the already dwindling reputation of our hobby.

I'm not trying to be rude or calling you stupid, just warning you not to get ahead of yourself and possibly get very badly hurt.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 13:50

Anodes made from compressed amorphous carbon aren't suited to a strongly oxidising environment . . .
And carbon oxidation at the anode during electrolysis increases with acid concentration and represents a loss of sulphate so that the resulting soln. can be expected to contain sulphurous acid (H2SO3) in addition to H2SO4.
An inert anode; Pt or PbO2 is ideal, but a proper graphite anode (gouging rod?) will be somewhat less reducing . . .

The BP of 98% H2SO4 is ~337°C!

virgilius1979
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 04:54

Don't expect your acid to be very reactive, as indeed is very dilute. When I was in high school I produced some H2SO4 with copper catode and graphite anode (removed from a battery). The contamination with carbon particles is very messy, but it can be filtered. Try to redisolve some more CuSO4 after the solution clears, to get more concentrated acid; although this would increase the corrosion of the carbon electrode. Also the carbon suspended powder decreases the circuit electrical resistance and this also increases current and electrode corrosion.
I have repeated this with a PbO2 anode. I dissolved 1kg of CuSO4.5H2O in about 1,5L of water. After completion I got a solution of about 15% which was pretty weak (not any visible reaction, except with Mg powder). At that concentration the boiling point is close to 100 degrees C. Only at about 20% it begins to rise slowly.
By the way, you should not boil it in you kitchen, as I did, because above 85% the vapors contain not only water, but H2SO4 too, and this increases with concentration. I had to leave the room as the air became unbreathable, even with ventilation on.
Check the graphic charts here
SixTough
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 16:32

Nice link, virgilius.
Ive concntrated mine up to 70-80% no problem. that is on a small scale though which i do not recommend as it gets consumed fast in a lab. I might be wrong but doesn't PbO2 leave traces in acid making it a bit cloudy?

Go To Top