Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Source of Electrolytic Carbon
Boron Trioxide
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 16:05
New Source of Electrolytic Carbon

The water filters that attach to your tap are actually carbon water filters. After opening one to find how the carbon looked it turned out to be a large cylinder of very conductive carbon, something I would assume would be good for electrolysis. These are somewhat expensive to only use for electrolysis, if you already use them to filter your water it seems a waste to discard them.

Dimensions
4.7 cm in diameter
7.4 cm height
1.2 cm hole diameter

144.4 g

Note: When cutting the plastic housing, a very bad smell was noticed, probably because this was a used filter, however the carbon itself doesn't seem to smell at all.

Note 2: The best way I have found to attach an electrical connection is to very carefully hammer a nail or two in the the top.

Carbon.jpg - 154kB
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 16:11

Is it a reverse osmosis filter or just a regular filter? Can you find a pic or a website that sell them So we know what type/price range.

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Boron Trioxide
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 17:47

This one is not a reverse osmosis, though that might work as well, here is a place to buy them, though I get mine from Superstore.

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Replacement-Filters-2-Pack-White...

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 18:40

Nice find. I think I have some of these filters (used) and will have to try one as an electrode. I suspect that they are optimized for surface area / porosity and as a result will probably be prone to crumbling (more so than regular graphite or obviously glassy carbon) but given that they're more or less free if you use this kind of filter they could still be interesting.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Glucose Oxidase
Harmless

Mood: Researching Alchemy

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 00:42

not really bbartlog although you are right about the surface area optimization but it must be highly porous because it's supposed to trap particles in its pores while filtrating water so if it is new it's probably highly porous but the main problem comes with the used ones because it is highly contaminated with filtrates and will contaminate electrolytes used in.

Go To Top