Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: does anyone else have a fear of police raids?
nachra
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif posted on 6-1-2013 at 18:43
does anyone else have a fear of police raids?

Im curious to get to the bottom of it. Half the ppl on here think there is no risk in buying chemicals and the other half seem paralyzed. So how many,ppl out there hqve actually had police intervention of anny kind in there home laboratory (be it raids, simple investigators snooping around, or any other notworth disturbance)? And who out there is fearful of such an occurance? What kind of activity would warrrant such an investigation and how could one proceed with their experimentation without said disturbance?
Nickbb
Harmless

Mood: something other than a chemistry pun

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 03:11

I haven't had a problem with the police. I have to work in my garage and garages are naturally not the most well ventilated place so I have to leave the door open. Luckily I am in a culdesac so for anyone to see anything they would have to drive in to it, and my neighbors are not nosy at all (if we all dropped dead in our house no one would notice lol) I have gotten odd looks from some fellow highschoolers that drive their golfcart in the culdesac sometimes but I believe they'd careless as well.
Never had any problem ordering chemicals are buying stuff from the hardware store either.

[Edited on 7-1-2013 by Nickbb]
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 08:26

While I wouldn't love having to explain all the chemicals in my lab (and most of them are unlabelled crystalline samples - Damn me and my fantastic memory)...

Nothing illegal would be found, and the questionable things are in low-enough quantities where they would not be an issue (save for my stock of ammonium nitrate I got on clearance, but almost all is still in the hot packs, and are located in my bathroom).
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2013 at 09:20

Ha, cops found little baggie of white crystals once!
I had taken a small ziplock bag of Na2S2O3 home to clean up I2 stains.
the next day my dad invited his 2 cop friends over to have a drink, they saw the bag and asked if it was meth. he said that it was one of my chems and they forgot about it lol!

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
SB15
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 16:00

Quote:
What kind of activity would warrrant such an investigation and how could one proceed with their experimentation without said disturbance?

I think it depends largely on where you live. In the US, paranoia is rampant and the police seem quite content to arrest/raid first and ask questions later, so any number of activities can pose a risk to your personal freedom. In my country, and apparently many others, they are much more willing to differentiate between the harmless home experimenters and the individuals who have true malicious agendas, so there are fewer restrictions on what you can do without chancing a lengthy prison sentence.

However, there are certain factors that will almost always land you in hot water, regardless of which part of the world you reside in. If you're suspected of synthesizing drugs, selling illegal materials/devices, having any ties to a criminal organization, etc., the outcome is essentially guaranteed to be less than positive. While the regulars here on SM are not likely involved in any of this, it's easy to become a scapegoat for someone who is, so keep a low profile and don't give others a reason to associate your name with chemistry experimentation.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 18:40

if i get raided i know for sure that cops down here will not find drugs but will surely make something stick.these cops will not go back to the station without someone paying for their wasted fuel,man hours,paper work etc. it is a well know phrase lawyers down here use about cop procedures that says" you may beat the rap but you wont beat the ride".the ride is bail,lawyer fees to reduce or dismiss the charges,loss time at work because of court hearings. fear of raids?when nobody even understands why a grown man would keep bottles of beautiful blue,green,white crystals?yeah i would say i am afraid.
DONALD W
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 19:12

I am kind of lucky that I stay under constant scrutiny by several Federal agencies due to a rather interesting life. And why is that Lucky? Well, none will lie in fear of the another agency finding out. Thank the Good Lord for that because within the last several years, one neighbor went to to Prison for manufacturing of illegal drugs and another one is currently an informant because he is constantly getting caught with drugs and he just help make a rather large drug bust for this area within the last year. Kind of mess up because I move here thinking it would be a nice place to live the rest of my life in the woods near a beautiful creek. But obviously, this country is ate up with the manufacturing of synthetic drugs. But, yes, I still have a little fear that someone will make a false swear to try and get themselves a little informant check for there pathetic habit.:P:
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 00:10

i wont say too much, but me and my friend past 4 midnight made ''the invisible rope'' game.. we decided to be sure it was a taxi but before we thought for a sec a car came driving, and later on we found out it was a civil cop car.
''why would they arrest you, no way they will arrest you for the rope''
so few mins later i was under arrest in a police car 4 hours past midnight..
i could see they were all drugged somehow, the civil cops.. it ended up one of them was staring at a glass of peanut butter, not sure what they were on but 2 out of 3 was later fired due to drugs
rumours say they have beaten up nearly random persons aswell, civil cops getting fired for drugs is somewhat routine AFAIK...
and this isnt russia, this is scandinavia.. northern europe.. seen as a very well functioning country.

as ive heard that they get excited by just seeing some acetone and copper sulfate i wont talk about what ive got around :P

its headshaking that they just dont realise people like most of us on here are, we know what we are doing, and we dont intend to hurt anybody and very unlikely we will set fire to something unwanted, their greatest fear when running their eyes over my chemicals were ''fire'' i dont know if you guys think the same as i, but fire is the least hazard of acids.. geez.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
KNO3me
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 21:21

I've never have any trouble with the law in the USA.
I always order my chems at varying times and from different websites or I purchase them with cash from a physical store (i.e. industrial, gardening).

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." - A. Einstein
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 00:06
Absolutely no one and nothing is sacred.

detained baby
www.sovereignman.com/trends/this-is-what-it-means-to-be-free...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlh3Uzzuzfo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8GO_68AYe4

Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 17-5-2013 at 18:20

You are over and your life is ruined if the police raid your house. You probably already break multiple laws just by making a baking soda and vinegar volcano.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 20-5-2013 at 21:19

Quote: Originally posted by franklyn  
detained baby
www.sovereignman.com/trends/this-is-what-it-means-to-be-free...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlh3Uzzuzfo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8GO_68AYe4

i dont even understand what possible profit they could have from taking a random womans very young baby

think about if this happened way back in time where society was just getting established where people went from killing each others over nothing.. the consequences of everybody getting told having anger is a bad thing and they agree on it is just that everybody becomes passive no matter how aggressive action you put on them

getting told you dont have the rights to know where your own child is going is downright insane.. hope they got more than they deserved so it wont happen twice

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 09:33

Context is important.

I chatted in a cafe, last year, with a retired judge (a personal friend) about my chemistry interests. He knows i am an artist, and i told him at the time that my interest in chemistry was confined to the study materials and methods for making paintings and sculptures that can last a long time.
He smiled and said, he would inform the drug dealers down at the corner that they do not have new competition. ;)

Compare the case of Byron Sonne,
a security analyst (also a personal friend) who decided to point out some flaws in the G-20 security.. something you might expect from someone who is one of the good guys.

But communication with authorities went off the rails, since he didn't have a contract with them to do this, they became afraid, and their concern mounted into a huge prosecution. I speculate it went down this way because, if one person could defeat a billion dollar security apparatus, this would embarrass government.

NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 18:49

Quote: Originally posted by nachra  
Im curious to get to the bottom of it. Half the ppl on here think there is no risk in buying chemicals and the other half seem paralyzed. So how many,ppl out there hqve actually had police intervention of anny kind in there home laboratory (be it raids, simple investigators snooping around, or any other notworth disturbance)? And who out there is fearful of such an occurance? What kind of activity would warrrant such an investigation and how could one proceed with their experimentation without said disturbance?
i actually had an experience which really does tell us that they are watching. i recently bought off of ebay a pyrex distillation setup, complete- months later i get a knock on the door and there were two drug squad detectives looking to relieve me of the glassware. they had a picture of an Xray of the box which contained my glass and many question on why i needed it and such. they needed to inspect it for drug residues and to see if it was being used for this purpose. of course it was legal to own but big brother needed to check on me.well anyway i got to keep it after explaning my legal use for it and the fact that it was clean ... just keep it in mind when buying stuff online from overseas, customs will notify the police about things they see.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Pruned
7-7-2013 at 19:02
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 20:08

The swine pigs have raided my possessions twice because of chemical orders, first time they came in shit hit force like everyhting they could get at 100km radius and evacuated the whole residence and I have never had as good cleaning service than that, they needed two trucks to get all the shit out. Got my stuff back with the same ride, only to be raided again, but the second time they didnt bother to send more than a bunch of hogs and checked only the shits and got me to interrogation.

Go To Top