Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab frame/lattice
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 08:53
Lab frame/lattice

I've made an attempt to build one myself, and I have seen people's work areas on this forum which are fitted with them.

Do you have them fitted, what are they constructed from, and what do you use as a base?

For those who aren't sure what I mean, here are some images from Google:

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 10:51

I built two regular stands out of wood and vertical steel rod, then attached a horizontal rod with two bosshead clamps. Easy!

It is very sturdy, plus an extra horizontal clamp for supporting condensers. Don't want any stress on the apparatus

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 11:15

I made a simple ring stand using iron threaded rod which is very affordable at hardware stores and a threaded plate holding thing. This has come in handy dozens of times but the rod does rust even if I treat it with oil that's the nature of iron.

I imagine a lab lattice could be built doing something similar with maybe aluminum rod/tubing and PVC T and + shaped connecting pieces. Aluminum is great because it is light, cheap, strong, and easy to work with(hacksaw through it like butter). Having a couple lengths of aluminum tubing would make nice electrodes anyways, so left-overs aren't really waste. Ideally one would use real metal clamps and probably stainless steel?

I realize you aren't in the US but here's the material I am talking about :
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202183497/h_d...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202183519/h_d...

CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 18:41

I made one from 1/2" galvanized steel rod and plumbing parts. You won't find connectors for half-inch rod around town, but you will find copper sweat fittings. Galvanized steel can be soldered to copper using plumber's flux and solder. It's tougher to solder than copper, I recommend scrubbing on some 'tinning flux' with a wire toothbrush while hot.

Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 19:52

I use a chair. Not even joking. Its a solid wooden one, and whenever I want to put a clamp in, I just drill a hole. It has worked fine for everything so far, although it wont be able to do really complicated stuff. For that, I shall require 2 chairs

jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 22:18

here's how i made my lab frame.

IMG_1820.jpg - 41kB

I'm not sure what the "screw" is called but it allows you to connect various 1/2" aluminum and steel rods.

IMG_1822.jpg - 64kB
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 14:23

I have a horizontal wooden bar about 80cm above the top of my lab table (runs from wall to cabinet), and two 1/2" steel pipes that run vertically, about 60cm apart, through holes in this bar and down into the top of the table. Not as extensive as a full-blown frame but so far it's done the job.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Go To Top