Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: (1R,2S,5R)-2-isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexanol - ( Essential Oil Crystals - Strawberry or Lavender crystals ?
mentholmadness
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 04:28
(1R,2S,5R)-2-isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexanol - ( Essential Oil Crystals - Strawberry or Lavender crystals ?

Hi guys, I'm familiar with the synthesis of (1R,2S,5R)-2-isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexanol

If you are not familiar with this synthesis it's basically like this

Menthol is generally obtained by chilling mint oil and subsequent centrifuging to separate out the menthol crystals. The process may be divided into two steps, firstly menthol flakes are produced by chilling mint oil and secondly menthol flakes mixed with mint oil again chilled to produce bold crystals of menthol

My main question is there any similar organic extract oil that can be recrystallized to create such bold crystals as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Menthol.jpg using same or similar process.

I am thinking along the lines of a nice aroma like strawberry extract oil or lavender extract oil.

Anyone willing to suggest ? :) Will be much appreciated.

NOTE: I have looked all through google but i cannot find any good processes that use recrystallization to produce crystals all i can find online is oil recipes.

mentholmadness
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 06:18

Okay maybe no one has experience in such. Let's simplify this.

If i get essential oil from lavender distillation and then i freeze with -60 temperatures. Will it hold it's crystaline state or will it melt when it returns to room temperature.
Valentine
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 09:05

Isolating menthol from mint oil - that's not a synthesis, it's an isolation.
Isolating crystalline compounds from essential oils or extracts is not an easy task in most cases, because these oils usually are mixtures of 15-30 major component, and they have more or less similar structure and functional groups. In the case of mint oil, menthol (~25%) and menthone (~35%) are the two vastly major component, so isolating them is not difficult. I don't have any information about the composition of strawberry extract, but I doubt it has one or two vastly major component(s) with a melting point above 30 °C. I found a GC-MS study on lavender, according to the chromatogram, the two major components are 1,5-Dimethyl-1-vinyl-4-hexenyl acetate (linalyl acetate) and 3,7-dimethylocta-1,6-dien-3-ol (linalool), in 42 and 26% respectively. Both compounds melt below 0 °C, so lavender oil won't work either. There are a lot of GC-MS data about essential oils on the web. I recommend this one: www.aromaticsinternational.com/essential-oils
This shop added GC-MS data to most of their essential oils, you can find it on the page of an oil as "GC/MS Report" link. You should search for essential oils or extracts with a few, dominant component (so the freezing-point depression will be low) with (relatively) high melting points and more or less different structure from the other components, therefore their solubility in the other compounds will be low at -60°C. Good luck! :)
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
9-1-2013 at 10:14
mentholmadness
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 20:30

Menthol can be isolated by steam distillation and freezing the distillate oil . Menthol crystals will come out over a period of 4-5 days.

"Distillation & Processing The Oil derived from the Mentha Arvensis herb (MENTHA OIL) by steam distillation, which is the basic raw material required for the Menthol Manufacture. By freezing (chilling) of Mentha oil L‐Menthol (Crystals & Flakes) are isolated"

Can isolation of other aromatic crystals be as easy ?
Valentine
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 01:26

Quote: Originally posted by mentholmadness  

Can isolation of other aromatic crystals be as easy ?

I recommend thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) oil, which is mainly thymol (2-Isopropyl-5-methylphenol). Thymol usually crystallizes easily, I have 200 g pure thymol in 20-25 huge crystals. Its melting point is 51°C, which is higher than the m.p. of menthol. Thyme oil contains around 50% thymol.
mentholmadness
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 02:13

That's good i have looked at Thymol crystals they are quite similar to menthol crystals.

But im wondering if i get other essential oils like steam distilled rose oil and put it through the freezing process like menthol oil will it create crystals and will they stay solid form in room temperature like menthol crystals.
Valentine
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 03:10

Most of the essential oils won't stay in crystalline state after a good freezing. They usually are a mixture of alcohols, esters and terpenes with low melting points. Essential oils with a dominant component melting above 30°C are uncommon. Besides thyme and mint oil, I can't think of any.
mentholmadness
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 03:34

Hmm that sounds like it sums up what i was asking perfectly. Now i know what is OUT of the question time for me to find what i CAN use to produce nice bold NON-Toxic crystalline preferably aromatic.

Which leads to my next question.
Does anyone know of any organic compounds that similar crystals can be isolated from ?. I want crystals like the thyme and menthol crystals but they can't be toxic because i will be melting them for their aroma's

I also want them to stay in crystalline form in room temperature but to melt under heat 35-40c plus

[Edited on 10-1-2013 by mentholmadness]
mentholmadness
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 03:41

BTW When i say essential oils i mean steam distilled extract not like mixed oils you buy from the shop. Im talking about raw oil extracted from a steam distill

Go To Top