Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  31
Author: Subject: Preparation of cyanides
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by Sakamura  
I did not think I would get this type of response! Yes I assure you I am a Dr trained in the UK. We never make solutions everything is pre packed and pre measured. ..... You seem to have a distorted Idea of what a modern Dr's job entails. Even the Formaldehyde solutions used in specimen fixation in histopathology were pre made.

No my questions have not been answered already as it is mainly about Ferro not ferri.

A molecular and cellar biology or pathology lab is completely different to a physical chemistry lab. I am comfortable in the former but not in the later (sorry for that misunderstanding), so as far as physical chemistry goes I am a beginner.

My Bio is not mixed up - actually it's pretty standard. Med school ->intercalated BSc ->Finish med School and do the jobs best suited to your ultimate speciality.....

I really thought this board was going to be helpful - obviously I was mistaken and apparently I am not welcome. Oh well Chemistry is not the only thing I am interested in so I will probably abandon the whole thing and move on to another field - which is a pity. At least the government will be pleased there will be one less amateur chemist.

All the best and no hard feelings.

[Edited on 23-9-2009 by Sakamura]

Sakamura, I am an M.D. trained in the U.S. and I agree that we don't normally have to make dilutions.

However, part of that training was in general, organic and biochemistry. We spent much time in the labs and we had to learn how to calculate stoichiometry and perform dilutions.

I have also worked in, and supervised, cellular biology labs. Calculating and performing dilutions was something we did for every experiment because solutions had to be accurately made up. Except for very basic reagents and culture media nothing that we used was available pre-packaged.

I'm sorry that you feel put off because your request was met with skepticism, but had you made yourself known to us before asking about KCN the response would have been different.

Ferricyanide is mentioned in this thread.

Books in the forum library and elsewhere on the web would answer most or all of your questions. The fact that you would give up your newfound hobby because of a single encounter with this forum makes me doubt your seriousness.

If you are really interested in chemistry then stick around and participate in our discussions. Much is to be learned here, and even more so in our library.

If your chemical skills are rusty you absolutely should not practice them by preparing HCN.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 08:14

Agreed. Even in the "good 'ol" days of the 1920's and 30's, most introductory labratory manuals would start you off slow and work up your skills to handle the specially deadly proceedures like cyanide, bromine, HF, and others. We at sciencemadness follow loosely this same approach. Learn manipulations while working with the more benign substances first. Heck you can fill an afternoon playing around with sodium silicate and/or borate:D Personally, I have chosen not to mess with cyanides because I don't feel I have enough safety gear. I feel confident in handling the glassware and equipment but I need to implement a series of safety measured before I can even consider HCN preparation.

Fellow molecular manipulator
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 10:18

Hydrocyanic Acid Reference

I have posted a reference on production of HCN from ferrocyanides and ferricyanides in the currently active References Wanted thread in the References section of the forum.
Sakamura
Harmless

Mood: Irritated but interested

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 18:56

Thank you entropy51. Training for a MBBS in the UK or an MD in the USA is obviously very different. I asked a few colleagues if they can do the stoichiometry calculations required accurately and the answer was universally well theoretically yes but I have never done it, why don't you ask a chemist to do it? They do it all the time. I.e. they to would want a check as well, have never done it and are non too confident of their ability to get it right first time. But it does not matter - you are the experts not me, so I will take your advise and put this project on indefinite hold and do much more reading before I attempt anything and it won't be anything as hazardous as KCN .
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 20:59

@sakamura - wise to keep cyanides on hold. The great hazard of -CN as with H2S is that it paralyzes respiration very very quickly. H2S is actually more toxic (?10X?) and more common but the smell keeps people from getting killed. Still, some large alga blooms on French beaches this year have killed at least one person and a horse due to H2S emitted during decomposition. Either one can be detoxified if in small enough quantities - emphasis small.

I've worked with cyanides and many other highly toxic materials and am still around to write. Some of it was dumb luck. Most of it was reading what the conditions necessary for toxicity (amounts, pH, compounds, etc.) and a very clear idea of how many little droplets and particles drift from the equipment despite my most careful efforts. You can get away working with almost anything inorganic chemical at 1 - 10mg quantities (with some glaring exceptions) - it's an interesting art getting useful data at that level. A draft away from you into an activated charcoal filter (replaced frequently) can be a lifesaver, along with a big dishpan full of water into which to drop any test-tube which might have a reaction getting out of control. Small test tubes! Disposing of the water later might be a problem. It's a much better problem than going to hospital or the morgue.

Good luck and enjoy your experiments!
Sakamura
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2009 at 21:38
Well you have me convinced

densest I hate to criticize fellow Dr's but the recent change in training has made things worse not better. I doubt an FP1 or 2 who will try to treat you first at secondary care level even knows about the electron transport chain. If I did it (and now I am not about to) I think if anything went wrong it would be an autopsy job - I have done enough of those and it actually horrifies me.

I had a chat with my old chemistry Master a PHD Chemistry (organic I think) and he agrees with you guy's. This stuff is way too toxic but he was very enthusiastic about teaching and I never had a boring lesson from him. He offered to get me to a safe level using his own lab on weekends but quite justifiably still does not recommend making KCN (although he admits he has done it multiple times himself). All I need to do is pay for the reagents and disposables (gloves etc and glassware that's not to hand) so I still have a chance to drink deep of the Pierian spring without killing myself. This is perfect for me i.e learning under the supervision of an expert instead of 'having a go' and praying.

Thanks for all your advice.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 25-9-2009 at 05:23

That is GREAT news. A REAL lab for you to practice in. I am really happy for you. I have a burning urge to ask what you want cyanide for? Making complexes, electroplating silver? As far as the complexes or organic synthesis you would have to wait. But for silver plating there are thiosulfate and iodide baths. I hear these are more expensive and more difficult to operate.

Fellow molecular manipulator
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 25-9-2009 at 05:42

This is perfect for me i.e learning under the supervision of an expert instead of 'having a go' and praying.

Thanks for all your advice.
And you thought we weren't being helpful.

I told you should stick around. Mostly we are not a bad lot.
Sakamura
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-9-2009 at 00:33

Again thanks for all your advice. I am pretty chuffed now having access to a Physical chemistry lab with some one that knows what they are doing as well as an organic lab. The only downer is that I know he will give me massive amounts of homework to do (or he did when I was at School) which is what is required but I doubt I will feel that way after a long day at work! So I may well be back for help on answering his questions which are never simple.

You all want to know what I want(ed) it for. Well I will give a very short over simplified explanation as it's a cyanide thread and my ultimate aim does not have much to do with cyanides. After I had got comfortable with working with them electroplating etc anything to get me back working comfortably in a Physical Chemistry environment - which is usually fascinating and I am sure I would have lots of fun on the way, all the more so if the thing was not so toxic. I probably overemphasized this in my previous posts. Ultimately (and this would take years including ethics comity approval and probably a grant) I intended to make a tissue stain that differentiates two cell types that wrap up neurons (nerve fibres) Schwann cells for the peripheral nervous system (PNS) and Glial cells for the central nervous system (CNS) without Immunofluorescence which is not cheap, doesn't last and is generally hard to work with, especially if you are double or triple staining. No stain is currently available 'off the self' that will differentiate between them but it can be made and it's main ingredient is KCN - buying it is an option if the lab has a licence, I don't know if it has, but I would be dubious of the purity and learn virtually nothing about chemistry. I did my BSc thesis in nerve regeneration (for the non medics the CNS does not regenerate - think superman dying paralysed, where as the PNS 'has a go' then gives up). I do not have the reference to hand but an Athens search of 'Schwann cell depots in frozen skeletal muscle grafts' will find it. I got PNS nerves with some encouragement to fully regenerate over a 4 cm gap in 3 weeks (although it isn't perfect for esoteric reasons it has been adopted in clinical practice). There are glaring holes in our understanding of nerve regeneration e.g 'why does nerve 1 the olfactory nerve (the one you smell with) regenerate fully with no help when no other nerve does?' I think I know why but I have to prove it. Hence my interest in pure KCN. I just wanted to make a stain, further my understanding of Physical Chemistry, have some fun along the way and hopefully do some good in the process - I realise now I should have explained this from the beginning but I got carried away with the idea. Again thanks for all your advice.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2009 at 04:37

I intended to make a tissue stain that differentiates two cell types that wrap up neurons (nerve fibres) Schwann cells for the peripheral nervous system (PNS) and Glial cells for the central nervous system (CNS) without Immunofluorescence which is not cheap, doesn't last and is generally hard to work with, especially if you are double or triple staining. No stain is currently available 'off the self' that will differentiate between them but it can be made and it's main ingredient is KCN
Not to pry too much, but is the cyanide differentiation between these two cell types related to some function over and above myelination that one cell type has and the other does not?
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 00:41

This is from "the industry of cyan compounds":

Ammonium cyanide, NH4CN, is a highly volatile flammable crystalline solid that smells like both NH3 and HCN at the same time. Boiling point is 36°C. It is highly soluble in water and ethanol and extremely toxic. Decomposes slowly at RT. It had some applications in industry because it is easily formed by leading dry NH3 over glowing charcoal. The NH4CN was then used to prepare KCN.

Synthesis of NH4CN: Mix 3 parts of potassium ferrocyanide and 2 parts NH4Cl and destill @100°C.
The vapours can be condensed to solid NH4CN.

Also, destillation of 3 parts potassium ferrocyanide, 2 parts NH4Cl and 10 parts water yields a dilute solution of NH4CN.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 02:14

Quote: Originally posted by Taoiseach  
This is from "the industry of cyan compounds":
Ammonium cyanide, NH4CN, is a highly volatile flammable crystalline solid that smells like both NH3 and HCN at the same time. Boiling point is 36°C. It is highly soluble in water and ethanol and extremely toxic. Decomposes slowly at RT. It had some applications in industry because it is easily formed by leading dry NH3 over glowing charcoal. The NH4CN was then used to prepare KCN.(cut)

That method of synthesis, involving partial decomposition of NH3 under high heat over charcoal (presumably in the absence of air), is most unlikely to produce anything like pure NH4CN, and there would have to be some sort of purification. I am fairly sure that other volatile cyano-compounds like cyanamide, NH2CN (especially), HCN, (CN)2, HN=C(NH2)2, HN=C=NH, and possibly H2C=NH and HN=CH(NH2), would also be produced in significant to substantial quantities.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 07:02

This is from "the industry of cyan compounds"
Would you provide a complete reference for this? I can't even find the title or any reasonable variants. Is it a chapter title in some other work?
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 07:09

Yes don't even think about it, all sorts of crap would be in the destillate. This method is completely useless. There's more convenient routes to impure cyanide, most of which have been discussed in this thread.

The interesting part is that ferrocyanide+NH4Cl yields vapours of PURE AMMONIUM CYANIDE at a temperature as ridiculously low as 100°C. Besides, 100°C is a temperature most easily maintained by use of a simple water bath :)
Ammonium chloride sublimes at about 300°C so it should not contaminate the end product. What we have here is a method that rips off CN- from ferrocyanide and delivers it in a PURE form. The vapours can be condensed in a flask cooled in an ice bath and then reacted with KOH.

I hope the book doesnt bullshit us and this really works, because it sounds almost too good to be true!
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 07:12

The reference may be "The cyanide industry: theoretically and practically considered "
which is available as pdf on books.google.com
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 07:14

Its a German book and available online:

http://www.archive.org/details/dieindustrieder00khgoog

Dunno if theres an english translation tough.
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 08:10

The preparation from ferrocyanide+salmiac is also mentioned on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_cyanide
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 08:52

It's a big jump from

"Le cyanhydrate d'ammoniaque se prépare très facilement par double décomposition. Un mélange de 1 équivalent de sel ammoniac et de 1 équivalent de cyanure de mercure desséché, entrent facilement en fusion à la flamme de la lampe à esprit-de-vin, et dégagent en abondance du cyanhydrate d ammoniaque, tandis qu il reste dans la cornue du bichlorure de mercure. On réussit pareillement, et d une manière plus économique, en substituant au cyanure de mercure le cyanure jaune de potassium et de fer effleuri."
http://books.google.com/books?id=c5s5AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA231

to

ferrocyanide+NH4Cl yields vapours of PURE AMMONIUM CYANIDE at a temperature as ridiculously low as 100°C

The research of Langlois, Kuhlmann, Bueb, Bergmann, Lance, Voerkelius, et al. with ammonia and carbon are known and available if you just search for them. Had the board not deleted the Beilstein file that I uploaded to this thread earlier in this post [why bother uploading anything when my files keep getting deleted, even small ones disappear], you'd be able to see the citations. Google to the rescue.
http://books.google.com/books?id=cR8SAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA40 (NH4CN)
http://books.google.com/books?id=cR8SAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA30 (NH3 + C)

The book mentioned by entropy51 is one of many books available on cyanides and their manufacture, it is a good one http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ

[Edited on 27-9-2009 by S.C. Wack]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2009 at 04:02

Its a German book and available online:
http://www.archive.org/details/dieindustrieder00khgoog

The URLs for direct downloads of it, and full title, are:
http://ia310837.us.archive.org/2/items/dieindustrieder00khgo... 5.30 Mb or
http://ia310837.us.archive.org/2/items/dieindustrieder00khgo... 8.95 Mb
- Die Industrie Der Cyanverbindungen, Ihre Entwickelung Und Ihr Gegenwärtiger Stand - H Köhler (1914)

Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2009 at 07:42

Reduction of cyanate with C yields cyanide contaminated with carbonate. The books says that pure KCN can be obtained by leaching the fused mass with hot anhydrous ethanol.

Right now this looks like the most promising route to me.

Also cyanate can be reduced quantitatively to cyanide with CO gas at red heat. This seems to work with sodium cyanate only:

1. Sodium cyanate from sodium carbonate and urea: Na2CO3 + 2CO(NH2)2 -----> 2NaOCN + 2NH3 + CO2 + H2O

2. Sodium cyanide from sodium cyanate and carbon monoxide:
2NaOCN + 2CO -----> 2NaCN + 2CO2

About 8grams of 100% formic acid would yield the stochiometric amount of CO to reduce 10,7g NaOCN to 8g NaCN, no losses considered.
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 08:29

Anyone has reliable figures on KCN's solubility in hot ethanol?

All I could find is a vague remark in Vanino's handbook of preparative chemistry, saying its solubility in boiling alcohol is "65%".
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 10:27

Ullmanns Encyclopedia says 0,57g/100g in 100% Ethanol at 19,5°C, and 4,91g/100g in Methanol at the same temperature. No other temperatures are given.

I've used Methanol with a Soxhlet extractor to extract KCN from the powdered residue of K4Fe(CN)6 fusion, and the residue from evaporating the MeOH on a boiling water bath in vacuum came out as 85% KCN upon titration with 0,1M AgNO3.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 11:14

Interesting. You just heated ferrocyanide in a crucible? Is porcelain suitable? Ofcourse the product must be protected from moisture and oxygen, but that is not a problem, I will just cover the porcelain crucible with a porcelain plate. What temperature is required? Is a propane torch suitable?

I don't have a Soxlet, but I guess boiling in methanol with vigorous stirring is sufficient.

Is evaporating without vaccuum also suitable? I don't see why not.
Now the only problem is, how to purify the 85% KCN...
What were your yields?

[Edited on 29-9-2009 by Jor]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 13:51

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
Interesting. You just heated ferrocyanide in a crucible?

Yep. See this book for this and other ancient but low tech methods: http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
Interesting. You just heated ferrocyanide in a crucible?
Yep. See this book for this and other ancient but low tech methods: http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ

Its title is: The Cyanide Industry: Theoretically and Practically Considered (1906)
Author: R. Robine, M . Lenglen, J. Arthur Le Clerc, Charles Edward Munroe
Publisher: J. Wiley & Sons, 1906

But the book cannot be downloaded from Google, except for a few snippets! Instead, you can download the whole book from this page:
http://www.archive.org/details/cyanideindustry01munrgoog

The actual URLs for downloading it are:
http://ia331411.us.archive.org/2/items/cyanideindustry01munr... 13.8 Mb or
http://ia331411.us.archive.org/2/items/cyanideindustry01munr... 20.4 Mb
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  31

Go To Top