Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Extraction of beryllium from beryl
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 13:03

Quote: Originally posted by Wizzard  
Here's some reference Be(SO)4 for you guys :)

This was made from high-purity 98% sulfuric and high purity Beryllium lump, some fraction of a g of metal, to yeild around 1.5g of the salt.

I did not write down measurements... But it's close. The bottle is 1" and the salt is a bit hygroscopic to the point of deliquiesence.

[Edited on 3-13-2013 by Wizzard]

Nice crystals, Wizz. :)

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 13:22

I also have some BeSO4 and this salt is not that hygroscopic. Maybe wizzard's product is so hygroscopic due to remains of H2SO4. I uploaded a picture of my BeSO4.4H2O to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beryllium_sulfate_4_hydrat...

The compound is not that interesting. I did some small experiments with the BeSO4 (the picture shown on Wikipedia is all I have, so my amount is very limited). Its aqueous chemistry resembles that of aluminium sulfate. A flocculent precipitate of beryllium hydroxide can be made from this. This redissolves in strongly alkaline solutions, similar to aluminium hydroxide, which dissolves in strongly alkaline solutions.

[Edited on 13-3-13 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 14:39

woelen: did you buy this BeSO4.4H2O in the photo?

It's true that it's a fairly ordinary compound and that Be2+ aqeuous chemistry is much more like Al3+ than Mg2+. But considering how many hoops I had to jump through to obtain it from raw Beryl, I'm still quite glad I obtained it all the same. Once I've got a little more I'll probably go for (NH4)2BeF4, the precursor to BeF2.

Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 19:33

@blogfast - Thanks!

@woelen - That may be the case - There was a bit excess sulfuric acid present, and also a bit of undissolved Be! Over the course of about a year in a plastic (barely sealed) container, they became a bit 'slimey', like they had just been taken from water.

One neat thing is they have some dispersion, like a diamond.. It's rather hard to capture. Perhaps I'll grow some larger crystals from my present stock.

If only my hot plate wasn't dead :(
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 14:42

What about trying to dissolve the beryl in boiling concentrated phosphoric acid ?

It can attack glass and fused quartz, though the reaction may take some time.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2013 at 04:08

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
What about trying to dissolve the beryl in boiling concentrated phosphoric acid ?

It can attack glass and fused quartz, though the reaction may take some time.

Literature shows that untreated, raw Beryl is extremely acid-insoluble. Alkali fusion (the easiest method on a gram scale) and vitrification by melting followed by extreme quenching are the most common treatments, to render it acid-soluble.

Beryl’s structure appears to be a bit of a solid solution of beryllia and alumina in silica, that kind of explains it.

I haven’t found any references to treatment with boiling conc. H3PO4 but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 24-11-2021 at 07:27

Czech professor of Inorganic chemistry, Milbauer described a great method of separating Be from Al via the double salt - potassium beryllium oxalate. I will look for the information and write down the details.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top