Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Re: Nitric Acid 68%
stuartteacher
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-1-2013 at 08:27
Re: Nitric Acid 68%

Is there anyone, in southeastern michigan that has any Nitric 68% that they would like to sell or know where I can pick some up? I would like to avoid, the the large shipping and hazmet fees.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 15-1-2013 at 11:38

You can make it very easily by distillation of sodium nitrate with sulfuric acid in a fume-hood or out-doors.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13090

I recently made 200mL for about 5$.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 15-1-2013 at 11:38

Why not make some yourself?

I'm not sure about the US, but here in the UK, we don't have to pay such high shipping/hazmat fees; for instance, a few months ago, I ordered 500 mL of 69% HNO3 from eBay, and the postage to my door was only about £8, IIRC.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Simbani
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-1-2013 at 12:29

Buy a good destillation apparatus and a few Kg of a nitrate salt, then look for ph-minus for pool uses. Many products contain H2SO4 (30%) mostly, so just distill it up and make your HNO3. Even with 30% H2SO4 one could make HNO3, a second distillation would be necessary tho.
I bought 30Kg of 50% H2SO4 for like 30€ and with this, I make my own nitric acid. So I can make PETN, RDX, ETN and so on in Kg range cheaply :D A fume hood is necessary if you want to make such big amounts (a lot of irritating acid vapour), and be sure to use very good glassware!
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 15-1-2013 at 17:40

Hey, I live near Auburn Hills Michigan and I make the stuff by the liter. If you want some, feel free to swing by. U2U me with how much you want and what you want to pay for it and I'll get right on that. I could always use an extra buck.

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 01:02

Quote: Originally posted by DougTheMapper  
Hey, I live near Auburn Hills Michigan and I make the stuff by the liter. If you want some, feel free to swing by. U2U me with how much you want and what you want to pay for it and I'll get right on that. I could always use an extra buck.

Hey Doug, this is off topic but I haven't seen any videos from your youtube channel.
Did you quit? You were doing an excellent job. Please continue.

Good luck!

Go To Top