Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question about pentaerythritol
shadow31
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 01:16
question about pentaerythritol

For how much do you get it, because it isnt very cheap compared to other chemicals, its around 40 euro per kilogram where i live so how do you get it ?

[Edited on 16-1-2013 by shadow31]
hiperion42
Hazard to Self

Mood: overwhelmed

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 03:55

.....ejuu....................................................................Ffg..............................g.............
shadow31
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 04:28

dont try to be original, i searched and i have found ways to make it, but i am asking about your practice on the subject, besides there must be some online market that sells it cheap
virgilius1979
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 04:47

This isn't really a subject for a new thread. But to answer you, I bought 2.5kg from eBay at about 55$ a couple of months ago.
shadow31
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 05:32

Quote: Originally posted by virgilius1979  
This isn't really a subject for a new thread. But to answer you, I bought 2.5kg from eBay at about 55$ a couple of months ago.

Right now there is only 500g. for 50$, so which way of making it will you propose me ?
virgilius1979
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 06:22

I still think it's cheaper to buy it from ebay sellers who sell it as a sweetener (I bought it from UK, as I live in Europe, but I saw US sellers too, some time ago).
Nevertheless, it can be synthesized by condensing CH2O with CH3-CHO, using CaO or Ca(OH2). There are a few threads discussing this; for me it's more expensive to get these two reagents than PE.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 07:07

Quote:
I still think it's cheaper to buy it from ebay sellers who sell it as a sweetener . . .

A sweetener? Are you thinking about erythritol or mannitol?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 07:34

Quote:
There are a few threads discussing this; for me it's more expensive to get these two reagents than PE.

Formalin isn't expensive or hard to get but acetaldehyde is a sticking point . . .
Hydration of ethyne is a convenient route to that aldehyde!

shadow31
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 09:56

Quote: Originally posted by virgilius1979  
I still think it's cheaper to buy it from ebay sellers who sell it as a sweetener (I bought it from UK, as I live in Europe, but I saw US sellers too, some time ago).
Nevertheless, it can be synthesized by condensing CH2O with CH3-CHO, using CaO or Ca(OH2). There are a few threads discussing this; for me it's more expensive to get these two reagents than PE.

I am from EU also and buying the chemicals here is not a problem, i can buy whatever there is made for the industry, just like buying waffles from a store (including that acetic anhydride i red is problematic to find in most countries) , but the problem is paying them, since i dont work :D i cant afford some expensive chemical and for pentaerythritol they told me 40 euro per killogram so is this a good price for the stuff, or there is a cheaper way to go ?

[Edited on 16-1-2013 by shadow31]
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 10:15

Why do you need petn that much, specially when you're on a budget? They can arrest you if you try to purchase it. I believe that mixture of ETN/hexogen something like 4:1 will have similar properties and even work in small diameters when melted/maximum density. The other cool thing about petn is that mixture petn/ng is slightly more powerful the mixture ETN/NG/NC, becoming maybe number 1 energy density from the readily made in the kitchen explosive mixtures.
virgilius1979
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 10:40

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:
I still think it's cheaper to buy it from ebay sellers who sell it as a sweetener . . .

A sweetener? Are you thinking about erythritol or mannitol?

Right hissingnoise, I was thinking of erythritol which has a sweet taste.
Pentaerythritol isn't of much use besides explosives and some plastics/resins from what I've read. Indeed, it's more expensive than erythritol. A UK ebay seller called musicalmatters sold PE some time ago, but I haven't seen it listed since than. Another source was a Korean seller, but I don't buy chemicals from them anymore, as I don't want to have problems at custom.

Go To Top