Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rubidium and Caesium
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 21-1-2013 at 17:13
Rubidium and Caesium

Will either of them react with tetrahydronaphthalene or tertiary butanol?

I need a inert solvent other than mineral oil that they will not react with.

[Edited on 22-1-2013 by APO]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2013 at 18:51

This thread should have been posted in beginnings.

Neither of them will reduce tertiary butanol, but they will react. Benzene and tetrahydronaphthalene are completely compatible with Rb and Cs, it will not actually dissolve. For highly reactive difficult to dissolve substances, often just colloidal dispersions are used.

Perhaps the solvent N,N-Diisopropylethylamine might work. The alkali metals are also soluble in anhydrous liquid ammonia, forming blue solutions.

[Edited on 22-1-2013 by AndersHoveland]
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2013 at 19:41

Quote: Originally posted by APO  
Will either of them react with tetrahydronaphthalene or tertiary butanol?

What do you think? tBuOH is an alcohol what has an OH group where the hydrogen could be removed with lithium, sodium, potassium ect. while it forms alkali-t-butoxides. If you would add it to cesium it would form Cs-butoxide what is a hygroscopic white powder. The reaction is not so violent, it is also used to get rid of metallic Cs (I used it for that).

And also for the tetrahydronaphtalene, I have posted not long ago in a topic what YOU have opened from the same:
"A little more info from Rb/Cs chemistry: mixing metallic Cs with benzene will yield a black amorphous participate what will explode on contact on almost everything, it has a chemical formula: C6H6Cs6.
Mixing metallic Cs with toluene will also end up with a reaction and yield C6H5CH2Cs. So be smart what kind of solvent would you want to use. "

Why do you open several topics from the same when these questions are already answered? Use the search button or google it.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2013 at 11:11

For potassium production tertiary butanol is used as a catalyst and when it is used no butoxide appear to form. You haven't simply stated if there is a reaction between caesium and tetrahydronaphthalene, and you've completely left out rubidium reactions.
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2013 at 11:51

So Anderhoveland, you think that tetrahydronaphthalene and rubidium and caesium won't react? Is that right?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2013 at 14:06

Quote: Originally posted by APO  
For potassium production tertiary butanol is used as a catalyst and when it is used no butoxide appear to form. You haven't simply stated if there is a reaction between caesium and tetrahydronaphthalene, and you've completely left out rubidium reactions.

Read the sticky thread on potassium production: t-butanol forms a butoxide with K, which is PRECISELY why it's a catalyst for the reduction of KOH with Mg in inert media.

Cs and Rb also form butoxides, even more vigorously than K and Na. And the reduction of their hydroxides with Mg also depends on it.

Tetrahydronaphtalene ('Tetralin') doesn't react with K and can be used as an inert solvent for the KOH/Mg reaction, as demonstrated by Nurdrage in that thread. I don't know how it behaves towards Rb or Cs.

Fully saturated alkanes are definitely inert towards Rb and Cs, at least up to 200 C. The patent mentioned in the K sticky thread mentions decane for Cs production.

[Edited on 25-1-2013 by blogfast25]

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2013 at 14:47

Thanks!

Go To Top