Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Which jointed flasks are safe under vacuum?
GammaFunction
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 14:52
Which jointed flasks are safe under vacuum?

I think the following are safe

1. small to medium (2l?) round bottom, flat bottom round, or pear shaped flasks. Not large RBFs.
    2. any flask with a vacuum outlet.
    3. Any connectors, adapters, or condensers.

What about ground-glass-jointed Erlenmeyer flasks? Is there any size below which they are safe?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 14:54

Generally, the better quality labware should all be fine. Chinex is more likely implode. Beware of star cracks and deep scratches. There's plenty of info on this subject already here, if you're willing to search for it.

GammaFunction
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 15:08

I've done some searching for things like "flask vacuum safety" but I can't find too many threads. Some people say that everything is OK up to 22l; other people say not to trust Chinese glass. Other sites say never to use an normal Erlenmeyer under vacuum.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed unnecessary quote(s)]

[Edited on 7/13/13 by bfesser]
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Generally, the better quality labware should all be fine. Chinex is more likely implode. Beware of star cracks and deep scratches. There's plenty of info on this subject already here, if you're willing to search for it.

I'd never trust a spotless Pyrex® erlenmeyer with a vacuum. It's more a question of geometry than glass quality, really. I think the latter is more important when heat and/or temperature differentials come into play.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
GammaFunction
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 16:35

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  

I'd never trust a spotless Pyrex® erlenmeyer with a vacuum. It's more a question of geometry than glass quality, really. I think the latter is more important when heat and/or temperature differentials come into play.

I can see why, given the lack of compressive strength on the flat bottom, but the shape is very convenient.

For example, what would one use with a jointed Buchner funnel?

On this page they use an ordinary Erlenmeyer, but it looks a bit rounder than normal, maybe to address the geometry issue. But the flasks aren't labeled "safe for use with vacuum."
gutter_ca
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored at work!

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 16:39

I've used thick-walled erlenmeyers in a pinch, wrap with ParaFilm in case of implosion.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 18:48

What's safe? What's not safe? It varies by who you ask. I have heard that flat bottomed flasks like Erlenmeyers are frowned upon simply because the flat bottom means they are more likely to be sit on something that could chip them or 'tink' the glass when under vacuum thus causing them to rupture. Many companies actually sell vacuum Erlenmeyers which are simply thick walled Erlenmeyers coated in plastic. Whether this is to protect the flask from getting chipped or to protect those nearby when the flask gives way is something I am not sure of.

On the other hand we routinely use 20L glass bottles at my work with flat bottoms and they are usually used for filtrate collection and are routinely pulled under medium (30-60 mm Hg) house vacuum. Again I have been warned to keep them in containers and not sit them on the floor because sitting it on something hard that could tap the bottom just right might cause it to give way.

In terms of ultimates, and something that is a matter of contention even among people working in the same lab is the use of sintered glass funnels. Some people will pull vacuum on the receiver only. Others insist they should only be used under pressure with the receiver at atmospheric. Yet others insist that vacuum on the receiver and pressure on the top is the way to go. And others will call those people crazy. From what I have seen it all depends on the surface area, a small sintered glass funnel with less frit surface area can take more simultaneous pressure/vacuum before it gives way (and some eventually do). It makes sense right?

It is quite interesting. I have had people tell me I cannot pull a addition funnel under vacuum on a setup whereas no one complains that a coil condenser with walls of similar thickness gets pulled under vacuum.

I routinely see 50L, and even 72L flasks pulled under full vacuum (<0.01 mm Hg) without any issues, all sorts of adapters, connectors, even a 100 L. Never have I seen a failure or even heard of one. But I do think some of that is that we always use good glass. I think brand name glass makes a difference.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top