Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozone-generator for decontamination
chief3
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 04:08
Ozone-generator for decontamination

I have some diesel/heatingoil- contamination in some wooden floor and some stone-floored basement.

It smells ... etc. ; now I found a link to the uses of ozone:
==> http://www.ozoneapplications.com/applications.htm

Seems I'm gonna go for an ozone-generator.

Has anyone ideas about the best way to build one ?
Any experiences using ozone ?

[Edited on 1-2-2013 by chief3]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 05:58

You could'a googled it . . .?
An ozone generator can be as simple as 2 glass window panes separated by insulating spacers ~4mm with alufoil on opposing surfaces, connected to the outputs of an NST!

Air-fed generators produce NO2 in addition to O3 . . .

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 06:08

Actually, some N2O5 (nitric acid anhydride) is also part of the mix!
You're going to need a reliable oxygen supply for safety's sake . . .

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 08:25

chief3, due to the inherent hazards associated with the production and 'handling' of ozone, and the health risks of inadvertent exposure, I highly recommend you look for another solution to your problem.

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 08:37

I'd be more intrigued by using small amounts of 03 in a more benign system of uVa activated TiO2 catalyst. It's been shown that just 1-2PPM in the stream, raises mineralization two orders mag. I just know how toxic even modest concentrations of 03 can be, and as mentioned by hissingnoise, @ high concentrations, all sorts of nasty NOX. Did someone say smog?

I use very small amounts of ozone in my rigged version of lennox pure air TiO2 based air purification. There is an optimal amount of ozone and water (humidity) I add to the stream (home air) to be purified.

Tha
t way I don't have an ozone problem. Any small excesses of 03, if there are any, will react shortly, and are of such a small proportion, as to not be too significant in the big scheme.
tubelectric
Harmless

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:18

UV-C lamps are often used by hobbyists because they don't produce NOx as far as I understand. Either buy an ultraviolet disinfection lamp, or buy a regular mercury vapor lamp and break the outer phosphor-coated bulb (the inner bulb emits UV-C and has the mercury in it). Remember that UV-C deteriorates rubber and other materials, and also your eye if you look at it too much.

[Edited on 4.2.2013 by tubelectric]
chief3
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 03:52

I googled it ... and there are a plentitude of ozone-generators commercially available ... ; the usual design seems to boil down to
==> some high-voltage-source
==> and either a ceramic plate with electrodes or a corona-discharge-tube wit a wire in the middle ...

So its probably not too unsafe ... .The price of the devices seems to be 100 EUR for each "10 mg per hour" of capability.
The needed wattage seems to be around 10 Watt for each mg of ozone (per hour) ... .

Since the half-life-time of O3 seems to be around 1/2 hour
==> the max. concentration of O3 can be calculated from the output of the generator and the room-volume ...

===================

Now I have experimented witch some weak voltage-multiplier I made myself
==> from a bunch of 4007 diodes
==> and a bunch of 1 nf ceramic-disc- capacitors ... .
===> which is connected to the 1 kV-output of some LCD-Monitor backlight-inverter .

The current-output is _limited_ , mainly by the small size of the capacitors.

The best material for the corona-discharge I found so far are seashell-houses, from the beach ... .
==> There may be better materials available ... ...

Now the object would be to optimize
==> the power-supply, by giving a optimum distribution of higher capacitances to the lower stages of the multiplier ...
==> and the efficiency of the corona ... .

A optimum corona probably ist the key, since this then can give a healthy supply of O3 per Watt, potentially useful for _a_lot_ of things ...

Optimum safety is also important, of course, especially with the high voltage ...

[Edited on 25-2-2013 by chief3]
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 19:07

100 bucks per 10mg? On Ebay I see the chinese flogging ozone generators for $ 15.- which would be sufficient for what you say you want. In combination with a simple ventilator those do the job nicely. A friend uses such a setup to clean out the chemical smells after experimenting and it works. He uses a rather high output rated generator which consists basically from a tube and a HV power supply, simple as it can get for a price you cannot make it yourself. Hut he leaves the room though and goes for a beer when running it and when he comes back opens the windows to ventilate. This works so well I am considering to use something similar against cold cigarettes stink at home.

/ORG

[Edited on 26-2-2013 by Organikum]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 13:48

Sometimes looking at patents, especially old ones, is a good idea. For one thing usually the method is simple and easy to reproduce. One I list was to generate O3 as an air freshener fed into the car. While not such a good idea, the important point was they went to great lengths in design to produce pure O3 minus any nitrogen oxides. Something quite useful for many applications, well worth a read.

Attachment: US1136227A.pdf (166kB)
This file has been downloaded 492 times

Attachment: US1162415A.pdf (204kB)
This file has been downloaded 465 times

Attachment: US1326631A.pdf (351kB)
This file has been downloaded 479 times

Attachment: US1793799A.pdf (274kB)
This file has been downloaded 452 times

Attachment: US2290376A.pdf (306kB)
This file has been downloaded 469 times

Attachment: US2615841A.pdf (477kB)
This file has been downloaded 494 times

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
argyrium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 23:18

Hi chief3,

It can be very effective but not without problems/tradeoffs. I am not speaking of the obvious health problems already touched upon above.

Do be aware that O3 can and will degrade many organic materials stored in your basement. Fabrics/carpets (especially proteinaceous) and leather and many, many other things can be effected.

If the culprit/odor is coming from the floor and there are items in storage elsewhere near that might be sensitive and you care about, consider trying to compartmentalize the areas you want/don't want to treat.

I speak from nearly 40 years of experience as an objects conservator.

Good luck
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 22:53

Too late to edit the last post but this patent was interesting. "LASER OR OZONE GENERATOR"

Was looking at Free Electron Lasers and the mention of ozone production was interesting.

Attachment: US3702973.pdf (877kB)
This file has been downloaded 506 times

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
chief3
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 23:08

I must correct myself:
==> The prices are about the same I said, but for 1 g per h, not mg per h ... , for the cheapest ratios of price vs. O3-production..
==> The electricity cost ist also to be scaeled, about 10 Watt per 1 g of O3 per hour.
I had looked up the numbers in my memory and later realized the mistake, sorry for that.

But now: An efficient 10-Watts-generator can produce more than 20 gramm of O3 in 24 hours ...
==> which is a half mole ... and enough for reactions ... ! :D

chief3
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 23:54

Among the potential uses I could find:

O3 is said to oxidize
==> S and H2S to H2SO4
==> Sulfides to Sulfates
==> NH3 to HNO2 and HNO3
==> alcoholes to aldehydes and acids ...

==> also potentially from KI can jodine be extracted ; maybe from ohter iodides too ...
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 00:35

The real ozone production of cheaper generators is far below the claimed one. Far below. No chance to get anywhere near without using oxygen pure or enriched air and both tediously dried . We have a big ozone generator, homemade and different concepts thread and I cannot remember anybody hitting such numbers.

That would be outright dangerous too.
But tell me if I am wrong, I would love to be! I have a stack of ozone fueled reactions I avoided to even look at for they are so nice and I thought so unreachable for lack of a sufficient generator (and not willing to build a sophisticated one by now).

/ORG
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 13:22

Go To Top