Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Odd sulfurous substances...
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 11:57
Odd sulfurous substances...

A couple months ago, I made a solution of sulfur in aqueous sodium hydroxide as an anodizing solution. I was doing some qualitative experiments with it, and noticed that when acetone was added, a green immiscible layer formed. Several small washes of acetone were made, then pipetted off and combined. This concentrated version was red, but when diluted became green, then light blue.
This sounds like some sort of polysulfide perhaps? I don't think it's cloudy enough to be a colloid, but the very dilute light blue looks a bit like suspended sulfur.

The second observation came from many years ago when I was a kid with a basement lab and some ether. As I remember it, mixing sulfur, ether, and ammonia would produce a red, smelly liquid which I tentatively identified as ammonium polysulfide. Embarassingly, I just finished failing to reproduce this result with engine starter spray.

If you have any idea what is going on in either case, or can confirm/deny the second observation, I'm quite curious :)
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 16:17

Sulfur can actually be dissolved in basic solution to form thiosulfate and sulfides/polysulfides.

I am not sure, but it might be possible the sulfur is somehow oxidizing the acetone through its tautomer. Bromine, for example, will spontaneously slowly react with acetone after a few minutes to form bromoacetone.

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 04:22

I guess thioacetone wasnt formed since they evacuated the town after some lab produced it..
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 11:09

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
I guess thioacetone wasnt formed since they evacuated the town after some lab produced it..

I hadn't heard about that, but apparently yeah, it's pretty stinky:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/06/11/things_i_wont_work_with_thioacetone.php

The acetone-based substance has a definite smell, definitely sulfurous, reminds me of propane/natural gas additive. It's pretty faint though, wouldn't make a good stink bomb let alone clear a town
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 20:40

Here is something else to consider. Iodine can react with acetone to form iodoacetone. But sulfur is actually a stronger oxidizer than elemental iodine, at least in the absence of water.

For example, when heated in a sealed tube, iodine did not react with hydrogen sulfide, and similarly sulfur was able to oxidize anhydrous hydrogen iodide.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17604

So if iodine can react with acetone, there is good reason to believe that sulfur can oxidize acetone also, although it would probably require a little acid to catalyze the tautomerization of the acetone for the reaction to proceed.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
Quote: Originally posted by Random  

I hadn't heard about that, but apparently yeah, it's pretty stinky:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/06/11/things_i_wont_work_with_thioacetone.php

The acetone-based substance has a definite smell, definitely sulfurous, reminds me of propane/natural gas additive. It's pretty faint though, wouldn't make a good stink bomb let alone clear a town

Who knows maybe thioacetone bad smell is exaggerated among chemists, but one thing is true, it is one of worse things you could make for your neighbours.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 05:30

I've just made that green thing today, it smells like a thiol (so I assume it is a thiol), but the smell is very mild compared to other thiols. I assume that it can be acetone thiol - CH3-C(O)-CH2-SH or something similar.

In the picture, you can clearly see the layer with Na-polysulfides and a chunk of unreacted sulfur, the upper layer is acetone with that green thing dissolved in it. When I tried to ozonize these 2 phases, the upper one got evaporated completely, and only the aqueous layer remained.

Rest In Pieces!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 06:24

Interesting stuff. Do thiols really have such strong colors? I have no personal experience with them, but I thought they were colorless liquids or white solids.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 07:20

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Interesting stuff. Do thiols really have such strong colors? I have no personal experience with them, but I thought they were colorless liquids or white solids.

This may be an exception, it may be caused by both carbonyl and thiol groups near eachother interacting somehow. The green solution even looks like a suspension sometimes, but, as I said, this stuff is volatile and evaporates together with acetone. Green color is quite spectacular in this type of reactions, IMO.

Rest In Pieces!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 11:11

Do thiols really have such strong colors? I have no personal experience with them, but I thought they were colorless liquids or white solids.

They're also known as mercaptans. Ring a bell?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Do thiols really have such strong colors? I have no personal experience with them, but I thought they were colorless liquids or white solids.

They're also known as mercaptans. Ring a bell?

There's a picture of methanethiol in the "pretty pictures" thread; it's perfectly colourless. I've worked with thiophenol, which was also colourless (but not odourless).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 13:25

I actually misread 'color' for odour. Says something about how our minds work, I think...

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 23:23

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
I actually misread 'color' for odour. Says something about how our minds work, I think...
The human brains is a funny thing. I indeed was talking about color. I know of the strong odour of this kind of compounds.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top