Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick homework question
CaptainOfSmug
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 12:18
Quick homework question

Name four elements that react, but do not usually give cation or anions?

I'm sure this is a very simple question that I am perhaps over thinking. At first I thought the noble gases but they are definitely nonreactive. Then I thought maybe some transition metals but do not have those memorized yet. Or is this question simply asking for an ionic bond that is neutral such as NaCl? Any pointers in the right direction is appreciated!
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 12:36

The question can be formulated in another way: "Give four elements that react to give non-ionic compounds"
CaptainOfSmug
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 13:57

Okay that helps somewhat, I guess I'm just a little confused because to my understanding all elements have some sort of charge unless they are bonded to become neutral except group 8A. But the question is specifically asking for four elements by themselves I'm assuming. I know that Group 2A gives +2 cations and that group 7A gives -1 anions, I'm just confused to how they can be reactive but have no charge unless bonded like HF for example.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 13:59

I wonder if your question means elements with react to give exclusively non-ionic compounds, or those which *can* react to give so...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Go To Top