Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Industrial Processes for Energetics?
Farnsworth
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 22:09
Industrial Processes for Energetics?

So I came across this picture during a search today and it gave me a boner.

And now I'm curious about the industrial processes for making our more common energetics.

I mean LOOK at that! Delicious TNT by the kilo and by the gallon. Oh the things I would do.... No junked toilet within a hundred miles would be safe! I think I need to buy some Powerball tickets.

But anyway. Does anyone have references on the industrial scale production of energetics? I'm not asking for a comprehensive list, but I'd sure like to know how TNT, R-Salts, Nitroglycerine, Nitrocellulose, and PETN were fist made industrially. Google searches turn up plenty of historical information, but almost nothing for engineering specifics, and a patent search has failed to lend me anything of real value. I know some things, like the "reverse flow" of mixed acids in the TNT production cycle and little tidbits like that, but then I see this picture and think "Jesus, did they originally do it in kettle-batches, just using gallons of components? We have a hard time keeping temperatures stable with a few grams in a flask, WTF. How did they do that?"

If someone could point me to some good books I'd certainly be grateful.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 05:23

Quote:
(From Wiki) During the First World War, munition workers who handled the chemical found that their skin turned bright yellow, which resulted in their acquiring the nickname "canary girls" or simply "canaries."

People exposed to TNT over a prolonged period tend to experience anemia and abnormal liver functions. Blood and liver effects, spleen enlargement and other harmful effects on the immune system have also been found in animals that ingested or breathed trinitrotoluene. There is evidence that TNT adversely affects male fertility.[17] TNT is listed as a possible human carcinogen, with carcinogenic effects demonstrated in animal experiments (rat), although effects upon humans so far amount to none [according to IRIS of March 15, 2000]. [18] Consumption of TNT produces red urine through the presence of breakdown products and not blood as sometimes believed.

Ummm! Too much of a good thing?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 05:30

Damn! That's one big picture . . .

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 05:31

Did you notice the sign on the wall?
The one that says no more than 29 people are allowed in the room at any one time?
Do you know why they have that sign?
It's to limit the number of people killed in any single accident.
Are you sure you want to be there?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 07:50

During the us Civil War the nitro factories had rows of benches with adjacent big barn doors that had shoots coming down. As soon as a chemists thermometer started rising quickly he hit an alarm bell and everyone ran for the nearest shoot.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 12:06

For industrial procedures take a look at Urbanski (available at the forum library I believe). Many, if not most, of the procedures in there are scaled to a few hundred kg product.
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 21:32

The look on her face in the pic is like the look on the chick frying chicken at my local KFC.
Just another day making TNT on minimum wage.
I bet she horked an oyster in the "batter" too.
Woooops .... Gender Correction. (I thought it was a dude)

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by Motherload]

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by Motherload]

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 04:15

Quote: Originally posted by Motherload  
The look on buddie's face in the pic is .........

It's a lady!

Go To Top