Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rosocyanine and Rubrocurcumin Complexes with REEs
quantumspinliquid
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2013 at 13:06
Rosocyanine and Rubrocurcumin Complexes with REEs

Rosocyanine is commonly used as a highly sensitive test for boron in solution and are formed when curcumin is added to a boron containing analyte. If you look at the structure of rosocyanine, you will notice how it has both a linear, highly conjugated structure and Td symmetry at the coordination site with boron. Due to its conjugated structure, I was wondering if addition of REEs could lower the band gap of this material and make it a good organometallic semiconducting material. Would it just be sufficient to complex curcumin to REE's without forming rosocyanine? I would think that the coordination of boron would allow for electrons to more easily jump between the curcumin molecules since they are being forced into very close proximity. I imagine the conduction mechanism would consist of the REE's first entering an excited energy state along with the rosocyanine which would accept the high energy electrons of the REE and allowing for electrons to flow freely between the curcumin backbones and REE centers. Anyway...

I was wondering first off, if this is a valid idea? Secondly, if it would be better to complex REEs strictly to curcumin, or to rosocyanine, and thirdly how can I dissolve rosocyanine and REE chlorides in high concentration so I can produce crystals of the desired compound? Complexation of REE to rosocyanine and/or curcumin would most desirably be performed as a one pot synthesis. apparently, Rosocyanine has very low solubility in most solventsm which is unfortunate. Also, I imagine the positively charged oxygens will need to be reduced in order to perform a complexing reaction to REE chlorides. Could I just add the rosocyanine to a solution of a nucleophile to reduce these? The nucleophile would need to have a structure good at chelating rare earths since this is what would be attaching to the metal after it is added to the rosocyanine.

Thanks for all the help!

Go To Top