Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Medical Advice
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 10:59
Medical Advice

I've noticed that a lot of people have been posting on the forum requesting advice that should really only be provided by a qualified physician. Here are just a few examples that I found with a quick search:

<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=23426">Inhaled some NO2 ...</a></strong> &mdash; <em>"I don't think i will die since i can still post this, but on wikipedia it says.."</em>
<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=23359#pid274753">making glyceryl trinitrate patches</a></strong> &mdash; <em>"I want to make glyceryl trinitrate patches for my tendonitis. My doctor won't prescribe them to me."</em>
<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=10254#pid268526">Nitrogen Dioxide Smell</a></strong> &mdash; <em>"Oh god... Now I'm paranoid. What are the symptoms of NOx overexposure? Can I check for pulmonary edema with a stethoscope?"</em>
<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=21992#pid264012">Have I been exposed to beryllium?</a></strong> &mdash; <em>"I have started coughing around february this year and still coughing all the time, dry cough."</em>

I, myself, am neither a medical doctor nor a lawyer, but I'm pretty confident that these types of posts should not be handled lightly. If someone were stupid enough to take advice from one of the numerous threads, and they were to come to harm, wouldn't members of the forum and Polverone (as proprietor of the forum) become vulnerable to a lawsuit? As I said, I'm no lawyer/doctor, but this just seems like common sense. I don't wan't to see this forum disappear because of some stupid lawsuit, and I certainly don't wan't any harm to come to Polverone because of the idiocy of some visitors.

<strong>Therefore, I propose that Polverone and the moderators come up with a plan to deal with these types of inquiries.</strong> I'm sure you could come up with something better, but I thought that maybe these posts could be answered with a simple copy-paste message of some legal sounding stuff basically saying "we're not doctors, seek medical help from a professional, we won't be held liable, blah blah blah" and then locked and sent to a locked forum (Detritus, or a specifically designated forum for easy retrieval, should a lawsuit arise).

Anyway, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by suggesting this. I'm just a little concerned for the safety and well being of this community and it's members.

Thoughts?

[note]
Yes, I know I've intentionally given people bad advice in the past&mdash;<em>sarcastically.</em> You knit-pickers shan't bother pointing it out (it's really annoying when you do that, get a damned life!). I do, however, think that this is a very serious issue.

[Edited on 6.8.13 by bfesser]

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 11:12

I will admit I am poorly versed on the law, but wouldn't non-liability be implied, based on the fact we dont claim to be medical advisors and the nature of the inquery(being on a msgboard)

That being said, even sites that offer medical advice like nurse line and such all have a disclaimer along the line that if its an emergancy seek immediate profesional help, and it also states that without physical examination there advice's efficacy is not certian, etc, etc.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 12:52

This is a very serious topic as I have found (too) many topics seeking medical advice. Of course, most people don't bother to answer (which is better than answering), some say that he/she should look for a doctor and some don't feel reluctant to post their advice, which can cause problems.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 15:56

I'll tell you, Endimion17 is pretty reliable! He told me about chemical pneumonia from the phosphoric acid, and now my dad has coughing fits every morning just like he predicted! (even though he had WP exposure he won't quit drinking :))

Extra advice on anything is better than none. and a second opinion is good.

PS:Poison control call about WP was amusing, they asked how the hell I got exposed to WP :) and then wanted info etc. but they didn't give much info.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 21:10

what was the conversation with poison control like? :)
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 07:35

akward, to say the least.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D

Go To Top