Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of Carbamide Peroxide?
TigerWoods
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2013 at 03:01
Synthesis of Carbamide Peroxide?

I am looking to synthesize Carbamide/Urea Peroxide 35%, basically it's pretty simple from what I read on here and a couple of other places such as wikipedia. All you would need is Urea and Peroxide, and thus it would result in Carbamide Peroxide. I am not a chemist by any means, nor do I know as much as some of you may, maybe some of you could give me a few pointers.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
24-2-2013 at 03:18
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 24-2-2013 at 03:52

Mix urea and hydrogen peroxide, evaporate excess water under vacuum.

Rest In Pieces!
Mercedesbenzene
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sub Zero

[*] posted on 24-2-2013 at 20:57

Its a fairly straight forward procedure. You add 30% hydrogen peroxide and urea in a 2:3 molecular ratio, heat to 60C until the urea dissolves and let cool slowly. The crystals can be collected by vacuum filtration. The MP of around 85C can be used to determine if you actually got the adduct or if you have urea. I have done this procedure following this paper.
Lu, Hughes, and Giguere (J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 63(1):1507-1513 (1941))
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by Mercedesbenzene  
Its a fairly straight forward procedure. You add 30% hydrogen peroxide and urea in a 2:3 molecular ratio, heat to 60C until the urea dissolves and let cool slowly. The crystals can be collected by vacuum filtration. The MP of around 85C can be used to determine if you actually got the adduct or if you have urea. I have done this procedure following this paper.
Lu, Hughes, and Giguere (J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 63(1):1507-1513 (1941))

So you have the paper in electronic form I would appreciate when you make it here available, yes?

And does it work with 12% H2O2? In my country authorities restricted OTC sales to this max. H2O2 content (and will outlaw it basically completely next year).
Say Vacuum and CaCl2 in a suitable container, vacuum replentished from time to time? Wouldn't matter if it takes a week when it has not to be tended permanently.

regards
/ORG
no_dream
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 05:23

The Crystal Structure of the Urea—Hydrogen Peroxide Addition Compound CO(NH2)2·H2O2

Chia-Si Lu , E. W. Hughes , Paul A. Giguère
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1941, 63 (6), pp 1507–1513
DOI: 10.1021/ja01851a007

Attachment: ja01851a007.pdf (200kB)
This file has been downloaded 2180 times

TigerWoods
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 06:14

Okay, so (sorry if I sound a little noobish, chemistry is very interesting to me, it's just I haven't had the opportunities to learn it aswell as some of you may had). There are a couple of things I guess I have picked up while looking for some answers, Urea Peroxide basically keeps the Hydrogen Peroxide from decomposing? Maybe thats not the correct word? From what I read, the Urea Peroxide when added to water would then basically just release the Hydrogen Peroxide, and keep it from losing its potency. Now this all makes good sense, next question is, and sorry if I am seeming redundant and that you already answered this

"You add 30% hydrogen peroxide and urea "

If I wanted to make Carbamide Peroxide 44%, and make it in a gel base, how could I go about doing this?

I understand that some of you may be thinking "this is quite trivial", and I am please forgive me if it seems like I don't know what I am doing, but let me assure you, I have done some research myself before asking.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 22:42

Quote: Originally posted by TigerWoods  
Okay, so (sorry if I sound a little noobish, chemistry is very interesting to me, it's just I haven't had the opportunities to learn it aswell as some of you may had). There are a couple of things I guess I have picked up while looking for some answers, Urea Peroxide basically keeps the Hydrogen Peroxide from decomposing? Maybe thats not the correct word? From what I read, the Urea Peroxide when added to water would then basically just release the Hydrogen Peroxide, and keep it from losing its potency. Now this all makes good sense, next question is, and sorry if I am seeming redundant and that you already answered this

If I wanted to make Carbamide Peroxide 44%, and make it in a gel base, how could I go about doing this?

I understand that some of you may be thinking "this is quite trivial", and I am please forgive me if it seems like I don't know what I am doing, but let me assure you, I have done some research myself before asking.

One would use the search function of the board and the internet.

You add gelantine to a wet mush of urea peroxide. Thats in the article posted before. Did not read it he?

With acid and formaldehyde you get a thermosetting plastic

/ORG

PS: To answer my own question, after the information of the thread linked above it seems lower concentrations of H2O2 should work, as dissolving urea in water and then adding a concentrated solution of H2O2 is as I suppose replaceable by using H2O2 of lower concentration from start. Maybe with losses. Aber Irgendwas ist ja immer.
TigerWoods
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 00:42

Go ahead, search the internet, then come back and tell me how easy it was to find some information about this.

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
Quote: Originally posted by TigerWoods  

One would use the search function of the board and the internet.

You add gelantine to a wet mush of urea peroxide. Thats in the article posted before. Did not read it he?

With acid and formaldehyde you get a thermosetting plastic

/ORG

PS: To answer my own question, after the information of the thread linked above it seems lower concentrations of H2O2 should work, as dissolving urea in water and then adding a concentrated solution of H2O2 is as I suppose replaceable by using H2O2 of lower concentration from start. Maybe with losses. Aber Irgendwas ist ja immer.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 01:54

Most things have been here for longer than some would care to look.

The Crystal Structure of the Urea - Hydrogen Peroxide Addition Compound CO(NH2)2•H2O2

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3214&a...

7 7 3 , downloads and counting.

Go To Top