Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NuWave Precision Portable cooktop as a hot plate substitute?
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 15:15
NuWave Precision Portable cooktop as a hot plate substitute?

Hey everyone, I really need to get a couple heating sources, but really don't want to shell out $100+ for a heating mantle, and $100+ for a hotplate/stirrer combo.

I do however happen to have an NuWave Precision induction cooktop and wanted to call upon your guys wisdom in regards to doing this. The thing is pretty awesome for regular cooking.. It has a digital temperature display with programmable preset temperatures with a timer program to switch temperatures at certain intervals.

It is a 1300w cooktop, and has a temperature range of 37C-302C. It also has a built in kill switch if it detects a problem, along with a built in fan.

I was thinking instead of having several sized heating mantles I could have an adjustable chain-mail like sheath for the boiling flasks (or whatever I put it on).. It would also suffice for oil baths ect and I could use various pot sizes.

Out of curiosity of I stuck a magnetic stirrer on it what would it do? Just shake and heat up?

Here is the link to their site:
http://www.nuwavepic.com/faq.asp#back

Does anyone see any problems with this?
CaptainOfSmug
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 18:31

It would work fine as a hot plate but I wouldn't use it for cooking anymore... Also be aware that it most likely isn't designed to protect itself from chemicals of various natures so there is the definite chance if anything spills it could potentially ruin it. To answer your question about te stir bar it wouldn't stir if that's what your asking. It would just sit in your flask and not spin.

Also you would be very lucky if you were fortunate enough to find a hotplate/stirrer for around $100

[Edited on 27-2-2013 by CaptainOfSmug]
radagast
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 19:39

Quote:
Hey everyone, I really need to get a couple heating sources, but really don't want to shell out $100+ for a heating mantle, and $100+ for a hotplate/stirrer combo.

Minor quibble -- you can get a Variac + heating mantle for ~$100, and then a stirrer for ~$25. So your expenses would be substantially less, plus you'd be investing in equipment that is the heart of your amateur chemistry setup.

Even after I have spent thousands of dollars on spectrometers, rotovap equipment, fumehoods, etc., I rely most heavily on my hotplate/stirrer and heating mantle/stirrer. It's worth saving up to get a good set.

[Edited on 27-2-2013 by radagast]
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 20:50

I put a bid up for a Glas Col TM108 Heating Mantle 1 Liter.. Wish me luck haha
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 11:23

Ask dr. bob if he still has heating mantles laying around. He could likely well out do any ebay auction out there. Think he also had some really nice hot-plates available but they may of came and went.

[Edited on 28-2-2013 by smaerd]

Go To Top