Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction of potassium metal with ketones
cAMP
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 21:00
Reaction of potassium metal with ketones

Twice now, I've had the opportunity to work with potassium metal. The first, I attempted NurdRage's potassium metal synthesis by catalytic reduction of KOH with Mg using tert-butanol, and I succeeded in making a small amount of the potassium metal. I added it to acetone (having had no toluene present, and not realizing that it would react), and it formed a deep red, milky solution that was extremely basic. Today, having ordered some potassium metal and wanting to clean its surface before ampouling it, I again, had some small pieces left over, and wanted to see if I could replicate my first result. Again, I got the milky, red solution. I tried again with MEK, and it took longer, but I got the same type of red solution. I'm at a loss for what this might be. I've been googling this all day, but I can't seem to find any reference to this type of red coloration. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!

"You just spent the entire night arguing grand unification theories with Albert Einstein!" - Geordi LaForge
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 23:43

Google the Aldol condensation. Even mild alkalis such as are present in molecular sieves will catalyse the polymerisation of acetone.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 23:50

That reminds me of back when I was an undergraduate, doing a Wittig reaction for organic chem. I was refluxing an alkali metal in some alcohol, and my condenser broke. So I replaced it with one from the storeroom, and used it as-is, without cleaning it or anything (I'd hate to use a wet condenser for this, obviously).

Once the solution was refluxing, every drop of liquid that condensed and dripped into the solution turned an intense red, which quickly faded. My initial horrific thought was, "Crap! My condenser's bleeding!!" If I ever figured out what it was, I quickly forgot about it (since I had no way of knowing what was contaminating the condenser), but now I think it might have been traces of acetone.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 07:21

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=16...
Quote: Originally posted by redox  
If this topic has all ready been discussed, please forgive my ignorance.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 12:00

Quote: Originally posted by Paddywhacker  
Google the Aldol condensation. Even mild alkalis such as are present in molecular sieves will catalyse the polymerisation of acetone.

Yes, into a gunky mass.

Strong acids can also result in self-condensation, mainly forming pherone, among other products. I still am not aware of any good explanation for the color change.

So, yes, acetone is not stable for any length of time if the pH is too high or too low.

If I can make a suggestion, the reduction of acetone with elemental sodium might be able to work if a buffer is used, such as hydrated alumina, to prevent the pH from going too high. Ideally the buffer should actually be dissolved in the solution, or at least well dispersed.

Or what about just doing the reduction with Al amalgam?

[Edited on 27-2-2013 by AndersHoveland]
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 13:12

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
I still am not aware of any good explanation for the color change.

[Edited on 27-2-2013 by AndersHoveland]

The red color change must be due to conjugated double bonds, like in lycopene.

Rest In Pieces!

Go To Top