Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Distillation Set on Ebay - Opinions??
jharmon12
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:38
Distillation Set on Ebay - Opinions??

Guys,

What do you think of this item for making nitric? It looks like it would be perfect for that. Even has a thermometer for $60 + shipping, but it comes from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000ml-Distillation-set-distillation...
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 07:03

A few people have had issues with Chinese glassware . . .
radagast
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 07:22

(1) Chinese glassware can be a gamble. I don't know anything about this particular glassware set, but I prefer Laboy, since they're a known quantity.

(2) The joints in that set are 24/29. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, but I usually go with 24/40 or 14/20 because it's easier to find those sizes if you need to replace or expand your set of glassware.
GammaFunction
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 13:54

Looks like a nice deal, even for Chinese glass. Shipping is cheap. Then there's the need for good Western-made clamps (at least $30) - the cheap Chinese ones are awful.

If you want to make something in bulk to use for later experiments, maybe 1000 ml is a little small.

The flask should start half full, so we're down to 500 ml. And you don't boil it dry so maybe 400 ml max.

I have a 500 ml flask. My next purchase will be a 2 liter flask, not 1 liter.

The 29/42 size may be a nuisance when you want to add bigger and smaller flasks.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 15:10

Quote: Originally posted by radagast  
(2) The joints in that set are 24/29. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, but I usually go with 24/40 or 14/20 because it's easier to find those sizes if you need to replace or expand your set of glassware.

Generally, the length of the joint is much less important than the width: for example, I frequently use 19/26 glassware with other 19/22, 19/19, and other odd-sized pieces.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 15:41

looks pretty good, i have been wanting a 1000ml flask but cost more than half of that whole set .the chinese clips are cheap but i have to kill at least one every time i make nitric acid. it never dawned on me that it might be because they were chinese because i just thought everything was chinese.some famous cowboy boots are chinese even.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 09:09

Overpriced Chinex. Don't bother with it.

learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 23:19

So, what would be the amerikkkan price for a similar item? Curious.
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 13:37

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230661532331
My friend was here today he is from China doing research in nanotechnology at the University of sherbroke. I asked him his opinion on some glassware and he said that the glassware in the link above was of high quality, among the best in China.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 13:46

I gotta second this opinion.Synthware is actually well made glass. although I suspect both Laboy and Synthware are made in the same factory. I will say their screw top thermometer adapters( not the rubber topped one shown in Steve's link) can be hit or miss with the glass threads not always meshing well with the plastic cap. but that is minor in most cases.
Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  
My friend was here today he is from China doing research in nanotechnology at the University of sherbroke. I asked him his opinion on some glassware and he said that the glassware in the link above was of high quality, among the best in China.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 13:52

Synthware is excellent and that is a hell of a good price!

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
blue_vitriol
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:56

Is it o.k. to use cheap chinese connectors and condensers if I use a quality flask, since it will get the majority of the heat?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 10:05

Trust your best glass to third-rate fittings ─ not a good idea . . . ?
argyrium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 18:42

Hello all SciMad entities,

Has anyone here actually ordered and USED any of the glassware from this source?? I am asking about real experience with this glassware.

It would be nice to have a cheap distillation setup for routine solvent cleanup and not use my more expensive pieces.

Thanks,

Argyrium
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 23:36

That is too much money for crappy glass, I'm sure you could get a kit of the same quality (bad) for less...

chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 13:32

Quote: Originally posted by SGV-Scientific  
We offer Organic Chemistry Glassware Kits with or without Carrying Cases + Pilot/Production Reactors & Systems...these are our 2 Core Products.

You can see & buy the glassware at:

Kits in Carrying/Storage Cases w/ Die Cut Soft PU Foam- http://www.sgvscientific.com/OrganicChemistryGlasswareKitsin...

Kits w/o Cases
http://www.sgvscientific.com/Organic_Chemistry_Kits_Main_Pag...
Thanks

I was looking at your webpage yesterday nice prices and kits but I don't know anyone who has purchased from you so I would be hesitant to order.. who makes the glass?

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 28-7-2013 at 03:51

Quote: Originally posted by argyrium  
Hello all SciMad entities,

Has anyone here actually ordered and USED any of the glassware from this source?? I am asking about real experience with this glassware.

It would be nice to have a cheap distillation setup for routine solvent cleanup and not use my more expensive pieces.

Thanks,

Argyrium
yes. i do actually own glassware that i did get from ebay and from one of the chinese stores but not that one in particular- very similar though, deschem i think. The flasks are thick and sturdy and seem ok quality. the water jacket seems even around the condenser tube and the joins all fit snugly with the vac grease. i have used it about 10 times for nitric acid production but the only thing was the rubber seal in the thermometer adapter. i sealed the hole with a blowtorch as rubber wont stand up to the nitric vapours so it can stand intense heating without failing there. it is all pretty sturdy and stood up to direct contact with electric hotplate, hot oil baths,hot sand and boiled water to clean it and of course the hot sulphuric/nitrate mix. the 500ml flask i did expose to flame for around 5 mins- it was fine.the keck clips are also shite too- a few uses and the ones closest to the heat got brittle and broke. not bad for the price i think they are actually pyrex. NP.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Pickardjr
Harmless

Mood: vapor state

[*] posted on 24-10-2013 at 05:41

SGV, I have your set and I've had better but not at the price you have. The glass is thin and chips breaks real easy. HOWEVER, the glass is (ok). SGV will replace any broken glass damaged during shipment, there ok but there is better glass out there.

Elemental Scientific sells good sturdy glass, I purchased some from them, kinda pricey but worth it. All lab glass isn't the same so do your diligence .
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 25-11-2014 at 17:49

I am going to remove the multiple posts by SGV Scientific. Spam, even if chemistry tools related is not allowed. I might have overlooked ONE thread in "acquisition" offering his wares- but WILL NOT tolerate multiple offers in multiple threads.

If this is repeated, we'll talk about a ban.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 25-11-2014 at 20:26

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
I am going to remove the multiple posts by SGV Scientific. Spam, even if chemistry tools related is not allowed. I might have overlooked ONE thread in "acquisition" offering his wares- but WILL NOT tolerate multiple offers in multiple threads.

If this is repeated, we'll talk about a ban.

I've marked 2 of their posts as spam.

Back on topic: as usual, the critics of Chinese glassware are vocal, but they are the minority. Most people (as evidenced by a recent poll here on ScienceMadness) are satisfied with it.

I bought most of my glassware from China, and "surprisingly" I have had not a single issue, in any shape or form. I had issues with some (but not all) reagents purchased from China, but NOT glassware!

Other lab equipment from China that I am perfectly satisfied with (which isn't strictly glassware):

PTFE stirring rods
Stainless steel spatulas
PE pipettes
Glass bottles with phenolic caps - best lab bottles I've ever had, from the POV of sealing
Molybdenum crucibles
Consumables such as nickel foil, stainless steel mesh, kapton tape, copper sheets etc.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-11-2014 at 12:59

Seconded.

I have bought a lot of glass from china, from various suppliers (likely same factories mostly) and it has all been absolutely fine.

The only ebay glassware purchase i had a problem with was a UK seller, Karter Scientific.
All i bought was 3 cheap conical flasks.
The 250ml was cracked, and the 150ml had a round bottom (would not sit flat).
My complaint was handled very very badly.
The excuse was that they were selling 'seconds', hence the cheap price, despite not mentioning that in the listing.

In contrast, two or three items i received broken from China resulted in an Instant refund, or a perfect replacement.

IMHO this negative attitude towards chinese glass is unwarranted.

Glass will not last forever anyway, unless you never use it.

Go To Top