Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just a thought (tryptamine)
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 03:50
Just a thought (tryptamine)

I find it quite funny when I learn a new process my mind suddenly jumps to One subject, always :L, well while reading the kolbe electrolysis a jump occurred, and quite a small one but possibly very interesting, a Tryptophan salt with a 300% excess (kinetics) of acetate, 3 methyl radicals and an alpha tryptamine radical formed at the cathode, A possible elimination reaction results in the formation of alpha methyl tryptamine, byproducts would be ethane and alpha tryptamine dimers (and loads of random minor ones resulting from further propagation steps) because of the nature of the reaction I imagine a lot of tweaking would be nessecary for a good yield. (alpha methyl tryptamine is legal in the uk from which I am from)
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 05:37

Solutions of those salts are very poor conductors. And I'm afraid that you would have too much byproducts.

Rest In Pieces!
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 17:00

Surely being poor conductors just reduces the reaction speed and if either one is more conductive than the other molar ratios can be adjusted to ensure amt favorability, there would be a ton of byproducts, I would hope increasing acetate would keep non volatile byproducts down as then the methyl radicals would keep the a-tryptamine radicals spaced far apart.

Go To Top